Sunday 15 January 2017

A quieter day

What a really nice day it was yesterday - there was some interesting challenge and some great blessing and space to relax and reflect and from that, to rejoice.

The week now done has brought a number of challenges, opportunities and joys; it has also provided as few frustrations and the potential for the odd sigh or two along with the odd tear or two as well: But that's life, isn't it?

I've been saddened by the ineptitude of some around me and even more saddened by the needy who crave success in numbers and opinion rather than merely get down and get on with the stuff they are called to do and the people they are called to be. Those who are looking to enhance their career and to place themselves in the right place to be noticed. Part of me hopes they get what they want (although if they do they will be yet another pebble on the scale pan marked 'nuisance') and the other part prays that that they do their career planning and their 'dancing for the grown ups' a very long way away!

There's nothing I can look back in regarding the week that causes me to rue what I have done or the man I have been - a miracle and a blessing indeed - but there has been much that has caused me to count the cost and to earnestly pray as those around me fail to have the wherewithal to pay it. So we look to the God who 'owns the cattle on a thousand hills' and His son.

We all fall short and at the end of the day all we have is to be found in the choices we have, and others, have made. We meet the challenges head on or we sidestep or hide from them, using the cover of dealing with it on another day until the days are used up and the options are reduced to zero.

There are so many Bible passages that cheer, inspire or caution - each resides within us, standing to attention like a soldier on parade when numbering off. This week Hebrews 3 has been a real friend to me:

"Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God. You must warn each other every day, while it is still “today,” so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God. For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ. ”

We have no idea of the day or time when our temporary stay here will end, nor any prior notice of the day when the Lord will return and so we live each day as if it were our last whilst relishing and enjoying it as if it were our first.

For a week almost done I can but pray for those who have needs, commend into your care those who have gone, and pray for those who remain.

May I preach true today and have walked straight in the week gone - and now, 'today' may I restore, comfort and enable all around me (including the man I see before me in the mirror) by the power and I dwelling of Your Holy Spirit.




Comm: 77
Hrs 61
telephone: 161
Texts: 134
Email: 208

No comments: