Wednesday 10 June 2015

Funeral Hymns: Selecting AND getting the Words right!

Using the Canterbury Press 'Funeral Services' book has become something of a common practice for me over the past few years and from my very first funeral in 1989, which went O so very wrong, to today I find myself squarely in four figures for the number of such services conducted. That said, I still find people struggle with the hymns contained - a most unwise practice when the hymns selected aren't in the book and there's no service sheet to hand (so a gentle nudge to those who are taking funerals - be aware of the book's contents or learn the hard way on the day!).

Anyway, having had a discussion with someone about to embark on their first service, I realised that for those beginning, this was most unfamiliar territory, and to ease the journey in to this world, here's a list with the page numbers (which are useful in your notes to tell people even when you have an order before you) for the hymns in the book:


Abba Father
Abide with Me (p. 79)
All things bright & Beautiful (p.80)
Alleluia, sing to Jesus (p.81)
Amazing Grace (p.82)
And did those feet? (p.83)
Be still, my soul (p.84)
Be Thou my vision
Blest are the pure in heart (p.85)
Breathe on me breathe of God
Dear Lord and Father (p.86)
Eternal Father, stong to save (p.87)
Fight the good fight
For all the saints (p.88)
For the beauty of the earth
God be in my head
God be with you 'til we meet again.
God who madest earth and heaven
Great is thy faithfulness (p.90)
Guide me o thou (p.91)
He who would valiant be
How sweet the name (p.92)
I am the bread of life (p.93)
I heard the voice (p.94)
Immortal, invisible (p.95)
In heavenly love (p.96)
I the Lord of sea and sky
I vow to Thee my country
Jesus lives thy terrors (p.97)
Jesu, lover of my soul (p.98)
Just as I am (p.99)
Lead us heavenly father lead us (p.100)
Lord of all hopefulness (p.101)
Lord of the Dance
Lord, dismiss us with thine blessing (dismissal)
Love divine all loves (p.102)
Love's redeeming work is done (p.103)
Lord Jesus Christ, you have come to us
Make me a channel (p.104)
Morning has broken (p.105)
Now thank we all our God (p.106)
O God our help in ages past (p.107)
O jesus I have promised (p.108)
O jesus thou hast promised (p.109)
O lord my god, when I (p.110)
O love that will not let me go (p.111)
Old rugged cross (p.112)
Onward Christian Soldiers
O valiant heart, who to ...
Peace, perfect peace (p.113)
Praise my soul the king of heaven (p.114)
Rock of ages (p.115)
The day thou gavest (p.116)
The king of love my shepherd (p.117)
The Lord's my shepherd (p.118)
The strife is oe'r (p.119)
There is a green hill (p.120)
There is a redeemer (p.121)
Thine be the glory (p.122)
This little light of mine
To God be the glory (p.123)
When I survey the wondrous cross (p.124)

I hope this helps

If anyone would like the words of the hymns (and I recommend this as having had a nine verse version of Amazing Grace last year it's obvious that many who create orders of service (amateur and supposed professional alike) merely lift them from the internet and this is the path of folly and error (and organist rage too!).

The words, as per the 'Funeral Services' book can be downloaded HERE



No comments: