Friday 7 December 2012

Footprints - part of Holy Writ? (1)

Many years ago (when the earth was young) I was sitting in a service one day when one of the church members got up to do a 'reading'. Now the reason for the ' '  is that what they got up and read wasn't, as was the usual practice, something from the Bible but that wonderfully reflective offering ' Footprints'. To top it all when she had finished reading it, in unusually hushed and sombre tones, she added an 'Amen' for good measure and walked away looking as if she had just read something that had just come down from the mountain.

"Hey Ho!" I thought (as I often do) - whatever floats your boat. But sadly, that day, I remember that we didn't get another reading and this was indeed the text from which the sermons was to be drawn.

As much as I think there is something wonderfully supportive and true in the words of footprints, I'm not so sure that I'd place it us there alongside scripture and even if I was to use it as the primary focus of a sermon, I would be looking at passages that could be drawn in to support, challenge and bless.

With that in mind, I have to say that the cartoon below (which I first saw this morning) made me smile as I sat in my study (now a balmy 11.7 degrees C) and so I thought I'd perhaps share it with you as I embark on a journey that considers footprints (and perhaps some others that I struggle with) and the reasons for it.

Please feel free to offer correctives and bring other perspective into the process - This is merely my brain bleeding onto the keyboard and screen (now there's a nice Advent image for us all):


Pax

1 comment:

simon said...

You see that one set of footprints? That's where we hopped!