Monday 29 October 2012

Winterval - No more than we deserve?

I wonder how many people remember Winterval - that great British festival organised by Birmingham City Council over the Christmas period between 1997 and 1998. This was a two year dual-edged experiment (for it encouraged visitors and spending as well as secularising Christmas). Its published aims were that of making Christmas an 'inclusive' time for those of no faith and be attractive (and attract to the city) those of the world faiths (for it included Diwali and Hanukkah as well as Christmas).

At the end of the day, what we are supposed to believe about Winterval is that it was all about attracting visitors to Birmingham and getting them to part with their money in the shops, eating places and events. To be honest, regardless of the intention, I cannot but feel that what was true was that it was little more than a cynical attempt at hijacking Christmas and denying the faith of the majority of those in the city (even though some areas are now 100% non-British origin populated).

In parallel with the first Winterval, in a London borough, the council stated its intention to use money earmarked for Christmas-related activities and decorations to support a political group elsewhere. Ironically it was the raised voices of the Hindus and Sikhs that caused Christmas to continue as it always had. More ironic still is the fact that the 'Christian' voice was muted and largely impotent!

So many people bemoan the 'fact' that Christianity is becoming increasingly marginalised and recount the many ways in which Christianity as a public (or national) faith is seen to be acted against and in decline.

So many Christians harangue me (sorry - I mean engage me in conversation) and, having pinned me to the wall with their posturing, tell me how us 'church leaders' need to make a stand and 'stop the rot'! And I, more often than not nod in agreement and utter soothing words which agree with them and salve their fears and calms their ire! I agree that we (The Church) need to be 'more visible' and 'more relevant' (actually I really hate that trite, often meaningless little phrase) and 'more _ _ _ _ _' (insert your pet desire!) and eventually they move on to drone on at someone else!

Rude? Yes, I certainly am! Here's the reason why . . .

More often than not the self-same person who has pinned me to the wall and pointed out how the church is being increasingly marginalised; of how the church is not given the opportunities to be what it should be and act as it should act is actually the problem - not the solution.

It is. far too often, them that is the bird lime of the faith world that causes the living bricks that are the Church crumble and fall from their place!

It is them who call for the Church to be afforded opportunities, given respect and included in the running of our communities.

BUT

These are (far too often) the same people who think they are doing Christ a favour by turning up on a Sunday morning, mumbling through their prayers, dropping money into the hat as it passess, singing the songs that bless them and doing the same the next week. Church is something to 'do' rather than be and this is the real reason that we are seeing a marginalised faith in the shape of Christianity.

If you are one of those who wants to see a mainstream Christian faith then you need to examine yourself and ask yourself some really hard questions; we all do.

If all I am prepared to offer is myself for an hour (or so) a week, usually on a Sunday when I can meet my friends, sing my favourite songs and be home by lunch, then what does my faith really mean to me?

Three Questions

Do I want to live the way God is calling me to live or do I want a Christianity that lets me take what I want from my faith life and live the way I'm calling me to live?

Do I want to be part of a faith that calls me to get stuck in and be about our Father's business; to be making a difference; to be engaged where the need is?

Do I want to reverse the marginalisation that I think the Church is being subjected to?

If you have answered 'Yes' to any of the above then I have to ask one final question, namely:

What are you going to do about it?

I know of a town where the local council have come to the realisation that Christmas is about more than Father Christmas and presents. They have realised that CHRISTmas (not Argostide) is a name that points to the person of Jesus (THE CHRIST) and have asked the Christians in that town to be involved with the town's celebrations that coincide with the Christmas tree lights being lit.

All they want is a nativity that tells the Christmas story and puts Jesus into the running order.

Now, if this was your town, what would you do?

Me, I'd rip their arms off in my haste to get out there and tell the nativity story.

Them? You can count those who have come forward to make it happen on the digits of a solitary person!

Marginalised? Perhaps it's what we Christians deserve.

Don't let us be put to shame, O LORD,
for we have cried out to you;
we turn up at church every week,
we speak of the great plans we have for others to do for you!

But let the wicked be put to shame and lie silent in the grave.
Let those you act against you feel your wrath.
Those who would marginalise and render impotent your church be dealt with severely.



hang on Lord, what do you mean that's me?



5 comments:

goldfinch60 said...

Well said Vic, it just shows that other religions seem to care more for Christianity than some 'Christians'. A friend of mine works with a Sikh Leader in Birmingham and he was one of those telling the Council that it should be CHRISTmas not Winterval.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

When you see him next please pass on my thanks - for it was especially the Sikhs in London who forced the council's hands when they acted against us there.

Seems to me that too many Christians model themselves on their ministers who appear to think they have some privileged status and that being feted is nothing more than they deserve.

After all, we deserved to have Christ come into this world to die for us - just a shame He doesn't do more now He's back with the father!!!

Aaaargh - soapbox day ahead I fear :-)

Thanks for comments

Pax

Anonymous said...

There can be but one response to your questions.

It's not as easy as you make it out to be!!!

I have work, family and other interests that all take place along with church life. I don't have the priveleged position of being paid to do church work all day so that I can engage with other things outside of church like you.

You place so much guilt upon people like me because of the choices I make and this is extremely unfair. I think you need to be more realistic and loving towards others.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I've put this back onto the comments page (even though it was deleted it remains on the system) with the author's name removed for I think it makes some essential points.

Thank you for posting them (and I hope you don't mind them re-appearing again),

V

Anonymous said...

It also strikes me with some force at this time of year that many councils seem quite happy to promote Halloween activities, which many Christians find offensive. I wonder what other faiths make of Halloween.