Sunday 19 August 2012

True Worship on my TV

Watching the television yesterday I was caught up in the passion and the proclamation of the crowds. How could I be anything but passionate when those caught on camera sang their songs of praise and engaged in their liturgy of wonder, love and praise. People hugged those around them (at the right and fitting parts of the gathering) and there were some who, caught up with the emotions of the event, wept openly. It was passion, full-on and public - there for all to see and there was no secret place in the hearts of the worshippers for everything was open, obvious and honest.

But there were no preachers. No choirs, organists or worship bands.

There was no sermon or altar call - for all knew why they were there and all were believers! What we had, purely and simply was a gathering of the faithful.

Just a shame that they were following their football teams and not Jesus! In fact if those who call themselves 'Christian' were half as engaged and even a quarter as loud and passionate as those in the stadium I was privy to (thanks to my TV) yesterday then the Church would be in the ascendency.

As I continue to ask people why we do 'good works' with our citing the reason or naming the person for, and by whom, we do them, the more I understand that we have become a people who live in fear. The reality is, generally and accurately, summed up by a response that I received yesterday from Underground Pewster, which says:

"In the Episcopal church USA, most congregants feel that they cannot witness effectively, and therefore do good works sans witness, and somehow, that alone is supposed to be doing the work of Christ in community (if I get the jargon they use). I think the statistics show that this (quietly doing good works without witness) is the path to decline of both Church and community."

Indeed it is! I am continually finding 'the church' engaging more and more in social action and yet those who are doing the stuff actively seek to remove any church or Christian link to the work lest it be rejected. In fact, I have spoken recently with a vicar who told me of a foodbank who, thanks to the efforts of the local 'Churches Together' group, have removed any link or association to that project.

If someone supports a football team then they attend the matches and will wear a team shirt, scarf or some other identifying mark (be fun is they passed a law saying you couldn't wear anything of a footballing affiliation nature whilst at work - be more of an uproar than that which accompanied some of the Christian objects debacle!). They drone on endlessly about their team (I do and because I support the team that was half a mile from my home it's not just where I come from but also who I am!). They will talk about great players, stories of great games and talk of victories won and losses (usually undeserved).

If you are a football fan it is almost impossible to stop you talking about it and the team you follow.

How sad that it seems that if you are a Christian the very opposite appears to be true :-(

No comments: