Wednesday 23 May 2012

Healthcare - NICE - it's not!

I am struggling with the issue of healthcare and that wonderfully contrary, and apparently ridiculous, organisation NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence). The reason for this is twofold in that I am amazed at the various pronouncements that come from this body and secondly because of the comments, and pain, from some that I encounter.

It wasn't that long ago that NICE was supporting elective caesarians, something which might "Enable people to mange their diaries and their lives," but is advocating the use of major surgery to support lifestyles and consumerism (in the main - I know there are some for whom this is a necessary choice for reason other than physiological, but they are not the major group of potential users).

The latest issue to cause me concern is the raising of the age limit for IVF and making IVF available for same-sex couples. The only ray of sunlight is the recommendation of the extension to allow women with cancer to perhaps become mothers before surgery, radiation or other means remove the potential for this. Now whilst some might be clapping about this there are more than a few who are asking why certain drugs for cancer and other ills are refused to their loved ones and yet shedloads of money are potentially put on the table for non-life threatening stuff.

Now I know of the tales of those for whom the not having children renders the mother mentally damaged and there are always exceptions to the rule but there seems to little balance here if the discussions I have been part of, or overheard are anything to go by.

Having a child is not a right, it is a biological function, and sometimes this goes pear-shaped. Where possible I think it is right to offer IVF to couples who have difficulties but as I walk wards and discuss stuff with over-worked, staff-depleted and stressed nurses, I do have to ask how comes NICE can issue advice to spend money, especially for those who were never going to biologically have children, when the sharp end is so vulnerable and underfunded.

I said nothing yesterday but couldn't help feeling that the voices of those around me regarding NICE and their many outcomes were probably right.

Still, that's what the world is about isn't it, rights?

And it gives the Christians an opportunity to think and develop answers (I'm still thinking but you have the 'Start' on the board of Monopoly that is my life here for you to get you thinking too). There are many considerations and issues - back to this later.

Pax

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

I just despise NICE and all that it stands for. It's remit reminds me of the Nanny State, which takes away independence of choice and thought.

I and my spouse don't have children, although I have two adult children from my previous relationship.

We have never worried about it. It didn't happen, so either nature has caught up with us or the biology wasn't up to it. Either way, having no children has been a blessing in many ways, being content with what you have seems to be the only way to live.

I can't hope to understand the pain and frustration of those who are unable to conceive, and I know that some provision needs to be made, but not at the expense of more immediate, life saving care needs.

Anonymous said...

I have problems with the fact that money is to be spent on IVF for people in relationships that can't have children because they are same-sex. This isn't prejudiced against them but merely a recognition that for such couples to have IVF they should be paying for it for the treatment is not a corrective (the paying for of which I um not sure) but an indulgence.