Saturday 3 March 2012

When Rights Clash - Part the Second

The Prooftext

Being human the reality is that we all make choices and have our own positions on a number of issues. Some Christians, naively it seems, think that the Bible is the source of concord and yet, many of us know that it can also be the source of discord thanks to the way we read it, interpret it or make it support our own position.

We have the heresy that is prooftexting whereby passages are taken and used to support our position and, having done this, make our righteous stand on the basis of the 'warrant of Scripture'. The problem is that all too often we find the passage used is taken out of context and so the reality is that we make it say what it never intended to say! Let me give you a safe example (i.e. I'm not using the Bible and I'm avoiding any of the amazingly contentious subjects that cloud our otherwise sunny days!):

One of our children once comes to me and asks if they can go outside and play in the park. My first response is to ask what Mum has said on this issue, for wisdom comes with experience ;-). The reply for said child is that, "Mum said I can go and play." Assured that I am acting in agreement with 'the Mummy', I (the'Not the Mummy') let them go.

The Mummy returns from somewhere or other and asks where number n child is. I reply, feeling assured that I am on safe ground, that they have gone into the wilderness to encounter adventure. The Mummy vanishes for a moment and them returns to tell me that they weren't allowed to go until the bedroom has been tidied (and of course it has not been).

When child is retrieved from the park they tell me that indeed the Mummy did say they could go out and when I point out that the words 'after you have cleaned your bedroom' were omitted, they merely answer, "But she did say I could go out!" Now she did use the Mummy's words, but they were presented out of context. Had the Mummy not returned before the child had been, gone and returned to the bedroom all would have appeared well, but of course would not have been. This is the curse of the prooftext and sadly, it is not restricted to children and playgrounds but can be found in the actions and theologies of many on all sides of many issues.

So here is a little plea on behalf of my employer:

1. If you want to hold a view that is contrary to that which appears to be Biblical please feel free to hold it, just don't twist the words to justify your decision for it confuses the sheep, and don't expect everyone to approve - they won't!

2. When you make a point please make sure that when using any source you do so with integrity and should you rely upon some form of 'having fixed the hermeneutic' (this means looking at the when, who it was written to, why it was written to them (and why then), the sociological, historical, political and any other reality in place at the time of writing, the intended audience and the authority of the person what writ it!) please make sure that it is not skewed to assist your own argument.

3. If you find something with which you disagree then engage with the words and dialogue with the writer (or speaker). Look at what they say and judge their sources and supporting material. Our society engages with ad hominem far too willingly (I know, I do it as well - I might be trying to be physician here but I recognise that I am also a sufferer). Issue a rebuttal and hope that a surrebuttal returns through the ether. This is dialogue and is healthy, constructive and Christian. (well it should be - if you can do wit you can also opt for the wonderful world of rejoinder and surrejoinder, which is much more fun but also potentially more barbed).


Happy Saturday

No comments: