Saturday 18 February 2012

Dawkins - the vox pop view

I have had, as ever, a most varied week that has seen lots of busyness highs made better (and worse) by the views, comments and questions of those whom I encounter. The best (and most consistent of these) has related to that great model of rational thought and logic, Richard Dawkins and his various utterances and views which reached its pinnacle with the conversation between Dawkins and Giles Fraser.

One of the more outspoken of my passing conversationalists asked what I thought about the man and his views and, before I could answer, suffixed the question with, " 'cos I think he's a bit of a pr*t!" Now, not being one to disagree and start conflict unnecessarily I smiled and let them continue (and they did). "Talks about not being a Christian and how all the other stuff's right and then he can't even answer a simple question about evolution. Seems he knows what he doesn't like but doesn't have a clue as to what he does. Like I sad, the man's a ****!" Well I had to agree (would have been rude not to wouldn't it?).

The same day the person behind the shop counter was recounting how funny it was that 'this atheist bloke said 'oh God' when he was asked a question'. As she continued she noticed the dogcollar and blushed but I saved the day (as (n)ever) and confirmed that it was indeed a bit of a laugh (and recounted the 'Thank God I'm an atheist joke which got us all laughing again).

Over the course of the day I found that Dorkins, the radio interview, the 'no council prayers' and many other little issues had made me, and the Bloke I work and live with and for, extremely popular. Seems that the man might be our greatest asset, especially as some of the more intellectual non-Christians I met spoke of his market research survey as being skewed and more than a little desperate (I will have to have a look before I can possibly comment).

So let's look at the conversation and our new bestest friend and marketing man's comments from that Radio Four interview:

Giles Fraser: Richard, if I said to you what is the full title of ‘The Origin Of Species’, I’m sure you could tell me that.

Richard Dawkins: Yes I could.

Giles Fraser: Go on then.

Richard Dawkins: On The Origin Of Species.. Uh. With, Oh God. On The Origin Of Species. There is a sub title with respect to the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life.

Giles Fraser: You’re the high pope of Darwinism… If you asked people who believed in evolution that question and you came back and said 2% got it right, it would be terribly easy for me to go ‘they don’t believe it after all.’ It’s just not fair to ask people these questions. They self-identify as Christians and I think you should respect that.

At least I know the name of the Bible (it's 'The Bible' in case you thought there was more)!

And just to help RD out, the title he was looking for was:
On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection,
or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.


Still, at least we know that in public life at least he calls upon God for help ;-)

Pax

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Great post. I'm sorry that I missed the broadcast.

Professor Dawkins has a good name. Dorkins :)