Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Vicar as Sole Trader

As I sit at my desk (01:53Z) the thought comes to me that when one is 'collared' and released into the cure of souls in a place that one becomes in one and the same moment both a sole trader in both spellings of the word.

I am a soul trader because that is the focus of my calling and yet am also a sole trader in that, just like the many shopkeepers and small businesses around me, I have to balance my books and pay my suppliers. It seems to me that the knotty issue of sustainability, the ability to pay my parish share and keep the lights, heating and comestibles in place means that in running the business I am no different from those around me. The 'higher calling' can, at times, be lost in the stresses of making ends meet and the spectre of 'being shut down' (should we fail to generate enough income - a real issue regardless of where the church is and a fearsome one to boot when you bear the label 'Urban Priority Area') causes some to give up and become impotent. Vision goes and all that is left is to await the day when it all ends!

But that's not for me because I am also a soul trader and the faces and changed lives of those whom our church has touched over the years gives me a hope, not a vain hope but one realised in the fact that we have a God who owns the kettle on a thousand hills (which show's how English God is, after all - what can be wrong if there's tea on offer?), became man and triumphed over the powers that separated us from the father. Hallelujah?

Tonight the Wardens took the church council on a vision evening as a follow-up to a church-wide meeting held a couple of weeks back and I'm sure that although there might be some who mutter 'curse God and die' (remember Mrs Job in chapter two?) I'm also sure that some will not stop to count the cost and will rush to be missional. I'll let you know when I hear what happened with it all!

The Church (universal) is charged with going into all the world and making disciples of people, teaching them to keep all that Jesus commands us to be and do and baptise them in the name of the father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is our 'core business' and when I think of the people who have given their lives to Christ in the place in which I am blessed enough to belong I realise just how good God is at saving souls when we take the time to cast out the nets.

So a word of hope to those who despair - we are winning. A word of caution to those who would seek to mock the work of the Church - we are winning. And to those who worry about the money - Bills do have to be paid but when you can accurately put a price tag on a soul come and let me know what it is and you'll not find any missional church that is in debt. Whose books are you looking at?

Praise the Lord!

3 comments:

UKViewer said...

Vic,

Thanks for an uplifting post. If we work on statistics, the church is apparently in decline. But if you work on the physical, I seen signs of growth in our church.

Not a surge wave, but a trickle of new people coming and staying. A trickle of people coming forward for confirmation, many of them young adults.

We have also noticed that weddings, baptisms and even funerals seem to bring in new families, who having been welcomed at this important life stage, see something they would like to be part off.

I'm not sure how or why, but our work with community engagement might have something to do with it. Our work with the young through an active youth group, our work with the elderly through our Fish Scheme and in care homes. Our work in our school.

But perhaps the most is the active involvement of our Vicar and Curate and church members engaging with all day by day in the community is key to it. Our five villages and churches might not be full all of the time, but as I increasingly meet new people, my hope in the future expands.

God is working through his people, with grace and hope being extended through the lives and living of his people. Mission at it's simplest and best.

Anonymous said...

A Priest is so much more than a mere shopkeeper of common tradesperson and you do your colleagues, and yourself, no good service in what you write.

You also imply that you are in a place which is seeing growth, something that is not my experience, and by so doing portray yourself as yet another smug Anglican priest.

How very sad.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

UKV,

Thanks for your comments and encouragement.

Anon,

Whilst I agree that we are more than just shopkeepers we do have to keep an eye on our ability to pay the bills and keep the ship afloat and so this is just another facet of our ministry (unless of course you're in a church where money isn't an issue of course)!

I can't apologise for the growth that has occurred here and am sorry of this is not your experience. I pray that it will be something we both experience and have to say that 'smug' is something that I don't usually have time for and so assume you've just decided you know who, what or where I am 9and sadly this might be just a little wrong).

pax