Monday 30 January 2012

More language abuse

Apparently RBS' Stephen Hester and his bonus is 'A important issue' in the minds of the British public. Yes indeed, it is 'A issue' that needs to be addressed!

Gosh - whatever happened to the rule that words that began with a consonant being preceded by 'A' whilst those beginning with a vowel find themselves following 'AN'. Simple stuff isn't it?

Of course we have exceptions, wouldn't be a rule without exceptions, would it? A unit of something or other, A university, an honour and so on. The wonderful combination of consonant and vowel plays a great part in confusing some (all?) sometimes but I recall the words of our English master (Moonbeam) and his exhortations to us that we, Say the words and listen. Does it sound right? If it doesn't, it isn't!)

I was told(by a supposed teacher of English, but having read their letters home I have to say that I very much doubt that this is a true description!) that 'these days' pupils can select what precedes a word on the basis of comfort and regional preference. Then again this person also uses the word 'color' (which is sule a co-lor, so what's a 'lor'?) and other abominations before, and unto the, GOD* and tells me that slowly the two languages (i.e. English and American) are coalescing such that one day we can all have an coffee and donut and it won't be a unique experience!

Looks like I'm becoming a grumpy old fart when it comes to English and though this might indeed be true, I will reman AN old fart and will have CDs (not CD's) and it will not be AN issue!

Aaaargh

If you struggle with apostrophes, have a listen to this (but be careful -it's loud.

*GOD - Greater Oxford Dictionary

7 comments:

KeyReed said...

What about 'THE' becoming THEE apple, THEE office which seems not to happen these days even on the BBC? 'THEE issue' softens the join between the 2 words. 'THE issue' makes more work for the throat. 'A issue' is simply terrible!!

I am fully behind you. Or is that, I am behind you, fully?

Anonymous said...

apparently the banks need to incentivise the senior posts to attract the best candidates!

Jenni said...

My husband is always correcting my apostrophe gaffs. I had enormous trouble with Uni essays and still get it wrong.I think it's the onset of senile dementia! Spelling gets my goat. I went past a restaurant selling Shepards Pie, and a notice in a local shop that declared "Only blind dogs allowed".

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Yep - love the blind dogs only signs and I also 'love' the 'ises' - summarisers being one of my favourites for they are surely commentators as they pass comment on that which is occurring rather than providing a 'summary' (the outlining of the points of something which has occurred). Even then, at the end, the person would be providing a summary of the events.

Still - 'impact upon' is even betterer when it comes to raising hackles.

Pax

Ray Barnes said...

Oooooh my favorite obby orse!
How I love the abuse and misuse of our beautiful language.
As for American English. That my dear sir is an or should I say a oxymoron!
There is American and there is English. They should never be confused (as apparently is half the population).
Is this my platform? Oh, sorry, I get a tad carried away on this subject.
I can't let the chance to air another pet hate go by, while I'm here. Namely the awful mispronunciation of the word jewellery.
There are at least a half (or should that be an half dozen BBC and ITV presenters, news-readers and antiques experts who talk about joolery. Grrr!

Revsimmy said...

"Of course we have exceptions, wouldn't be a rule without exceptions, would it?

There is a pronoun missing in this sentence, I believe. And the first comma should be either a full stop (not "period") or a semicolon.
(...just between us pedants ;) )

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

;

:)

Love it - thanks

V