Sunday 1 January 2012

A 'Dear Vicar'

I have had a lovely email regarding 2011 and the VtV blog and so I thought I'd post it here (with permission gained and anonymity maintained as promised). So here goes:

"Dear Vicar,

I thought I would write and pose some questions and offer some comments regarding your blog which I find myself reading on a fairly regular basis these day. My questions are:

Is most of the material you post yours? I ask this because you post poetry and images which I am unable to find elsewhere and wonder if this means that it has originated with you or perhaps that you are good at concealing sources.

When you write do you do so to impress people, become a source for others or write for yourself? I ask this because at time it appears that I am nestling inside your mind rather that watching you on the big screen (something I rather like if I am honest in my own assessment).

Do you mean it when you claim to be 'an average Church of England priest'? It appears to me that you are very different from the majority of Church of England priests and your ability to engage with often quite complex thinking and produce something simple is either a gift or the result of more, or perhaps different, education from many of your colleagues.

Additional comments are that you appear to be very frustrated by many above you and even more alongside you. It would seem from the way that you write that you are very much a polymath in that you have myriad strands to your ministry and your experience both prior to ordination and since appears to indicate great width and almost multiple-lived lives.

I hope you do not think this communication offensive or too pressing but I am confused as you write as if you don't want to be quoted, as so many do, or seen to be an authority, the last word' or from a place of fame (sought or gained). You don't quote yourself like so many with their tiresome 'best of nnnn' or a 'my greatest blogs' link and do not mention those who have quoted you either. Is this some self-effacing part of your personality or is it intended?

I look forward to hearing your response and wish you and your family a Happy New Year for 2012."


The response is on the way - as for anyone else, I'm always happy to try and explain the weirdness that is me - I just love to Panda to people's needs:


Pax

No comments: