Thursday 3 November 2011

Rowan Speaks for Us All

So says David Cameron. But of course he continues, "But we're not going to take any notice!"

That's subtext regarding the response from Messrs Cameron and Osborne. Then again I would have to say that this is no surprise as it appears to be a consistent response regarding Rowan. Regardless of the issue we usually have excellent thinking, fine words and a consistent ignoring of them. Sometimes because they are pitched too high, sometimes because you knew that some were never going to listen (indadba, more like insolence and intolerance!!) and sometime because, well - just because - and this is surely another of those occasions.

I was asked by people why Rowan hasn't taken control of the St Paul's situation. My response is that Chartres is doing this and Rowan is merely leaving the job to the man on the ground. "But when it gets to this level, surely the man at the top should be getting involved and should be making relevant comment about OLSX, the camp and ways of making the Church relevant," They cry. And you know what, as much as I like and admire Rowan (and I do - he's an intelligent and extremely gentle and humble man) I am stumped because it appears to me that there are so many with woolly ideas and fluffy notions regarding the situation. So many voices saying so many things - but Rowan isn't one of them, and if he was, with his brain and manner I'm sure he could bring something winning and positive for the Church (universal) and the CofE (in particular).

My problem with the 'Tobin Tax' and those who are sending me mails asking me to support it or canvassing me on Facebook with the same intent is that every one of them, to a man jack of them, isn't concerned with something positive but are acting only to extract some form of revenge. Much like the sad person who appeared to applaud the firebombing of a satirical magazine in France saying. "They got what they deserved!" Thank God we don't get what we deserve and what place does extracting revenge and hitting the financial world because of their excesses. We don't need revenge, we need responsibility and if this has to come through regulation because they can't de responsible, then so be it.

Personally I love the idea of two or three percent of the money made in the finance world being used to address world poverty, finance heath research, building and replacing lost social housing stock, paying for our children to attent university with a major award like we did when I was a lad and more besides. I welcome a financial world where people paid administration charges but saw interest reduced or even gone (isn't that usury?) and our nation living by the Judeo-Christian values that once dominated.

Come on Rowan - speak up - there hasn't been such a time of relevance and such a desire for the Church to be heard speaking since the last war!

Pax

No comments: