Sunday 7 August 2011

Mental health - the Church

David Keen's words stayed with me yesterday as I toured the battlefield sites of Naseby. The need for a place where acceptance. Words echoing the need for a place where safety is the reality and mental-illness is regarded as something that happens to many and yet the retain their humanity, their person (even when it is clouded), God's love and find people who go the extra-mile.

I've written of the offers we've made to made our premises available to groups who are being closed because of funding and contracting estate issues but to be honest, nothing has happened - and I've been happy to let this occur (I could say too busy but if it was important I would surely have done more to make it happen?).

Where I am I am surrounded by many mental health issues and realise that unless we strive to be the difference things will never change. The road to hell (not Hull, that's the A666?) is indeed paved with good intentions.

But as for actions?

I'm committed to starting a town-wide group of people who will work with the mentally ill in our town and will combine the Street Pastors meeting in September with part two relating to mental health.

If you're in our town and want to get involved in either project - watch this space.

And if you're not - challenge me in three months time to see what and how I'm doing.

One of the biggest problems with good ideas is getting others to challenge, encourage and (properly placed) criticism.

Pax

1 comment:

KeyReed said...

If only I'd known; Naseby is but 20 minutes drive from me.