Friday 8 July 2011

What is 'Being Church' all about?

It's 23:30 here and the house is (at last) beginning to settle after all the usual havoc and chaos that Friday with its Kid's Club, piano lessons, ministry and everything that having a house full of children entails. Time for a bit of a reflection as I unwind and get ready for some zzz's.

The problem is that I have questions buzzing around in my head regarding what 'being Church' is all about because for me it means working together with all the other Christian believers in the place in which I find myself to build the Church. Immediately a conversation where I am berated because, "We don't build Church, that's God's job!" leaps into my mind. Apparently we only have to tell others, it is God's job to win them! Well, whilst I understand what the speaker meant, I have to say that this isn't what I'm thinking!

As I see it 'being Church' is about building the whole body of Christ, not just the expression of it that has our name above the door as Vicar / Minister / Pastor. As I see it "being Church' is about making disciples of those who do not know Christ and so have a separation from God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit - are you listening UCC?). In fact this is the commandment that we corporately possess as Church (universal not local!) as given in Matthew 28:18-20:

"“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

We go - and we tell - and they come - and they repent - and we baptise - and we teach - and they learn - and they become disciples - then they go - and they tell - et seq.

The problem is that when we find it hard to 'be' Church and 'be' with each other and pray and enjoy each other's company, some bright spark comes up with the idea that we should 'do a mission' because when we work together the task brings us together. And then the task is complete and we can drift apart until we can think of another artificial way of making us 'one' again!

Surely Church is about seeing the image of the unseen God made visible by God incarnate, Jesus, in one another and celebrating that. How can we fail to see the image of God made flesh in those who are flesh made God (as part of His body) unless we fail to look?

I'm so very tired of having to 'do' to 'be' Church. I want to 'be' and from that 'being' let the things that come out of it, come out of it. I'm fed up with Protestant work ethics that drive us to perform (like Martha) when Christ is calling us into relationship (like Mary?).

I'm fed up with numbers being the yardstick by which success is measured. Number of BOPs (Bums on Pews), the numbers with pound signs attached associated with the offering, the numbers relating to Parish Share payments and all those other indicators of quantity that convey nothing of the true meaning of Church (yes, I know we have to pay our way!).

When are we going to see the worth of those in a missionary context where lives changed and professions of faith in a man whose name was once merely an expletive and the measure of the ministry?

Where the ability to greet those from other fellowships as family and mean it is the reality rather than what is demanded?

This is what 'being Church' is all about, but:

"If serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve . . . . . But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Josh 24

Pax

2 comments:

Revsimmy said...

"the ability to greet those from other fellowships as family and mean it"

- even the UCC.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Not sure where first response went, will try again.

Totally agree, that's why I checked they were listening, part of being family is making sure they don't fall over ;)

Thanks (as ever for comments),

V