Tuesday 26 July 2011

Buzz Magazine

Just been reminded of 'Buzz' magazine and the work of Music Gospel Outreach (MGO) and Pete Meadows. Our church boasted the person who ran the Buzz store (which was a garage full of stuff offered for mail order in the mag') and we used to go and sell programmes, lift heavy objects and move them around the Royal Albert Hall and do other tasks for the concerts MGO put on.

Time moved on and Buzz eventually gave way to the wonderfully named 21st Century Christian (which always made me think of Gerry Anderson's puppet shows).

But what heady days with acts like the Advocates, Malcolm and Alwyn, Ishmael and Andy and many other names proclaiming the Gospel!

Looking back at some of the magazines that remain I am amazed at who we were then (still play Larry Norman and have the Advocates vinyl offering in the loft!) and the music of emerging people like Graham Kendrick (Fighter - what an album), Adrian Snell and the like.

Makes me realise that Christian music, like computing, was a very different and perhaps much more exciting place to be when I was younger - great leaps forward and very much part of the music scene and yet also so very different.

If you weren't there you need to hear it (I reckons) and you can do a bit of time warp with Kendrick's 'Fighter' by clicking here:

'Fighter'


Enjoy man!

7 comments:

Jenni said...

I remember Buzz Magazine! I was about 15 then I think....oooh..

Anonymous said...

Rev Counter and the Speedos

Sheila Walsh

John Pantry

And yes, Buzz magazine

Great memories. Where's that record player

Anonymous said...

Everything's more exciting when you're young

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

But it was - church was emerging from the shackles of being establishment and was beginning to dialogue with the emergent pop and drug culture, computing was in it's infancy (my first computers were Z80 development kit, Tangerine and Nascom 1).

It really was exciting - mind you the music still is and there's so much good stuff out there these days.

Christianity is still exciting, even when you're a wrinkly like me :)

Pax

Music Lover said...

What stunning words - poetry and Bible collide!

Never heard this album and always thought Kendrick was rather lightweight but this changes my mind.

Pity he did all the Make Way stuff in between then and now - latest stuff is rather good too.

Mark said...

One of my first albums and I reckon I could still remember all the words!!

Bob said...

The words of the final track ("Battle Hymn", for those that don't know the album) do much to remind us that we are the victors, not some down trodden minority, but victors.