Thursday 26 May 2011

The things people say

I found an interview with the Chief Executive of a hospital that has been found wanting by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) rather telling as he boasted that "We Always Put Our Hands Up and admit it was our fault!"

Some years back I was part of a court hearing where the defendant, when asked whether there was any reason for the court to suspect that the police officer who had been called for the prosecution might be exaggerating or embellishing what was being presented to the court replied with words to the effect, "No, none really, he's always been really good whenever he's nicked me before!"

It's amazing how often people condemn themselves by their own words and this morning I was led to think of Matthew 12:37: "The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you."

As a schoolboy I was collared by one of the masters for a presumed misdemeanour and in my defence protested that "It wasn't me this time!" to which the master responded that in that case I should consider myself being punished for one of the occasions when it was!

Seems to me that whilst trying to paint a picture of integrity, the Chief Executive actually painted a picture of continuing error and rather than enhance, or encourage, confidence his words actually diminished it!

How often do we do this I wonder?

Makes you think!

Pax

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

I actually think that he might retract that if any of the cases of ill-treatment of elderly patients were to be subject to litigation, they have an open and shut case.

Anonymous said...

The idea that because the hospital was given a positive review in some areas the other issues could be ignored spoke volumes about the attitudes of the establishment.