Friday 15 April 2011

Zionism - What is it?

In order to have a sensible dialogue we need to make sure that we all have the same understanding of the terms used. So let's make sure we are all meaning the same things when we use the same words.

From the many mails I have received, I have come to the baseline definition that Zionism is:

+ 'The belief in a Jewish homeland for THE Jewish people, in the geographic location that is Israel',

+ 'The possession the the human right of self determination, for the Jewish people' and

+ Concerned with the nation state of Israel, a modern secular nation where Judaism is to be found, but where nation and religious belief are separate.

+ It is about the return of the territory to the people who once occupied it as a God-given right.

I was also told that the label 'antisemitism' * applies to:

+ Those who oppose Jewish human rights,

+ Those who oppose the existance of a homeland for the Jewish people, and

+ Those who support and/or spread hate about Israel

(* Apparently this is the European Union's definition of antisemitism.)

I am taking myself off to watch 'The Promise' (and visit the gadget Show Live) and as I do, I wonder if there are any additions, modifications or subtractions that need to be made to the elements above to ensure that we have an agreed datum from which to work.

As it stands, I don't think I'm a zionist and I'm definitely not antisemitic (unless being critical of the nation's behaviour is to be considered antisemitic).

Thank you for those who have offered their views on zionism and antisemitism, the elements of which have been reduced to the lowest common denominator here.

So, are the definitions right?

If not, tell me where and why and we can move on.

Pax

ps. Thought I'd posted this before I left for Gadget Show (excellent) - apologies.

3 comments:

True Believer said...

Zionism is about realizing that Israel is the apple of G-d'seye. She can do no wrong and those who oppose her will feel the wrath of G-d.

To utter a word against her is to condemn yourself.

To deny her existence is to find yourself outside og G-d's will for his world.

Alison said...

is there a problem here in that the definitions are too comprehensive? It seems difficult to be neither a Zionist nor an antisemite if believing in the right to a Jewish homeland makes you a Zionist and denying it is antisemitic.

I think I support the existence of the state of Israel but not many of its current policies. I wouldn't want to accept a Zionist label, especially as there seems to be a brand of right-wing Christian Zionism with which I certianly don't want to identify, and from whose viewpoint any criticism of Israeli policies or actions is labelled antisemitic.

In essence I fear your attempt to come up with the definitve definition of the terms is doomed to failure as they seem destined to remain terms whose emotional and ideological content is determined by their users

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

TB (cough?) - thanks for your comments, you highlight one side of the issue with this issue!

Alison,
I share your feelings about any definition and reckon I will be forced to adopt a working model as that which I seek to address/work from that is based upon what I have to date.

As long as there is some understanding and perhaps a little consensus regarding the position from which I work, we will at least be using the same language (something I fear is the biggest problem here as another email has informed me that' zionism is the imperialistic act of the Jess aided by the bloodguilt of a post war western world'

Phew!

Thanks both for your comments - always welcome, always helpful and always valued.

Pax