Thursday 21 April 2011

Wholly Weak

Maundy Thursday has once again come and the end of our Lentern journey is in sight.



Today I will be going to the Cathedral for the Chrism Eucharist and renewal of vows service and this evening we will be hosting the Parish Seder meal. Tomorrow it is my privilege to be organising the Town's public act of witness followed by a three hour watch service.

This Lent we turned the Parish Lent course into a sermon in the middle of a communion, taking the opportunity to bring together the four churches to break bread and celebrate our relationship. Anamnesis (remembrance) and a celebration of koinonia (familial fellowship) - can it get any better? Well, that's what's been challenging me this Lent.

Speaking to one couple, they told me how during Holy Week (the week before Easter Sunday) they don't listen to the radio or watch the television. Impressed, I asked what they did instead. Less impressed, they told me they read books! Digging deeper I asked why they'd turned off their electronics only to be told that this was because it was 'Holy Week' and that's what they always did, it had become a tradition!

I asked a few other people about their Lentern journey and they asked me what I meant by 'Lent'. I explained about Ash Wednesday (most hadn't heard of that either) and the six weeks from then to the cross.   "We don't do that sort of thing," they said, "But we do do Good friday because we come to the town centre for the service!"

The deeper I dug, the more I realised that for some, Easter starts on a Friday and ends with a celebration on Sunday. Those who did know about Lent, basically said: "That's the time when you give things up, isn't it?" This necessitated my explaining that Lent was not about 'giving up' but 'taking on', for it is a time when we take on the burden of self-examination. The giving up is there to provide a focus and space for us to take a look at ourselves and the the things that rule or play a controlling role in our lives, it's not the focus or the purpose of Lent - Jesus, the road to the cross, self-denial (now that's the giving up bit) and self-examination, that's the heart and strength of our Lenten journeying.

But what then of Holy Week? Outside of the midweek communion, Maundy Thursday and Good friday stuff, I don't do anything and am being challenged to see what, and how, my response (and that of those I pastor) should be. I am aware of a growing feeling that there should be more, but am also aware that this 'more' needs to come out of our relationship and enhance our journey as a response to the fast approaching terminus of our journey, the Cross. Legalistic or ritualistic engagement is hollow and is (apologies to some I might offend here) merely being 'religious'. Jesus demands, and deserves, more.

Those I pastor deserve more - but what, how and when (having introduced Sunday evenings, I find that although what we do is valid and worthwhile, the turnout is always low - but it 's quality, not quantity I guess).

Vigils or communions? A cornucopia of service styles (TaizĂ©, BCP, Compline, labyrinth, CW, etc.) to show the facets of the reality that is our worship and provide a place for all to find something that suits them? I don't know, but know our response and reality needs to more than wholly week.

Pax

4 comments:

Revsimmy said...

A couple of things we have started here have been a service of Tenebrae (shadows) on the Tuesday evening of Holy Week and a family-friendly version of Stations of the Cross on Good Friday morning followed by hot cross buns and coffee. I use the Lion book The Story of the Cross: The Stations of the Cross for Children as the basis for this service as it explains the story in a very simple way and includes short simple prayers for each station.

The Tenebrae service involves laying out eight candles in the form of a cross. A series of hymns/songs and readings follows the scriptural events of Holy Week, and after each reading one of the candles is extinguished until the church is in darkness. The congregation leave in silence.

If you are interested I could let you have a copy of the order of service I use, though you will probaby wish to adapt it for your own situation.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

That would be excellent - thank you.

Have heard of this sort of service, but not tried it - Thanks again.

Vic

Anonymous said...

Slowly catching up on blogs after my sabbatical - I think I am very much on the same wavelength. I wonder if there is a way of restoring the link to the catechumenate and to baptism over the Easter period?

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Indeedy. Seems to me that we have perhaps lost Lent and generally turned Easter into a Sunday 'one day (sorry morning) wonder'

This needs some thought and prayer - I am sure I've sold God and those I pastor, short.

Thanks,

B