Sunday 13 February 2011

All Ages - One Church

We celebrated twenty-five years since the consecration of our building today and one of the nicest comments ever was made about the Church in that it was a great mix of all ages and everyone appeared to be ate ease with each other. This is a true observation and is one of the strengths of the Church I belong to and the people I serve.

It seems to me that so often the older folk in a church want to see growth and yet also want to see it on their terms in a sort of liturgical NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) approach. As they get older, and have more time on their hands, some of the older folk in other congregations I have known tend to get very pre-occupied with themselves and the errors and offences (real, perceived and imaginary) of others. The return to the playground is often a hallmark of older people and, as someone who ran an old-folk's lunch club once told me, the spats and falling out that happens amongst the older generation is often spiteful and frightening.

The young have much to teach as well as learn when it comes to the older folk and vice versa. Those who have years on the clock often have experienced the self-same problems, and made the self-same mistakes, as the younger members. They know what a muck-up looks and smells like because they've made a few in their time, and so they also know how to avoid, or come out relatively unscathed from, them.

All-age torture (sorry services) are something that people inflict upon congregations. This is a service whereby we talk down to the children and try to appease the grown-ups at the same time.

All-age church is a place where we speak to the child in all of us and ensure that milk and meat are both on the menu (fortunately, according to the thirty-nine articles, we are free from the dietary regulations). The older members enjoy the new songs and are as on fire as the younger. The younger members are looking to find something relevant and sustaining, so are the older members.

Age is not a source of division, attitude is, and I thank God for the people of all ages who have the right heart and attitude. May I be one of them as I get older.

Pax

4 comments:

UKViewer said...

As a member of the older generation (over 60) I attended a family service today.

It was lovely and it is great to see the age groups from young (baby) to some of the eldest in the Parish worshiping together. Hymns were a mix of new and old and complemented the service.

Sometimes the young or the old are invisible, we are fortunate that our village school serves all of our villages, which gives some cohesion to our youth work and outreach (with 5 churches in the benefice).

I love it when I come away from a service with a real zing to my feelings, being uplifted by the service and sermon, but most of all of sensing the spirit there among us, raising us all up together.

If only all were like this!

Unknown said...

UK Viewer - an interesting observation, and one that I share too. Half the world wants to romance men of about my age (c40s) and the other half youth. Toddlers and Dodderers (my term, my fault) seem to be the overlooked members - which is a shame!

Vic - a good post. Thank you

Revsimmy said...

"It seems to me that so often the older folk in a church want to see growth and yet also want to see it on their terms"

Tell me about it!

Rev Trev said...

Church should be exactly what you speak of here Vic.

So many of those who want to see growth do indeed want it on their terms and in ways that don't mean they have to change or move from their comfort zones.

We live in a world where everyone wants the best, but the best is usually what is best simply for me.

From the first to the last we are members of the same body - an encouraging thought to start my week with.

Thank You