Monday 17 January 2011

They're the wrong words, Gromit!

Heaven preserve us from those people who change the words of hymns, songs and choruses!

I know I've mentioned it before but when you arrive at a church or crem' and find yourself handed a sheet with that old familiar hymn, 'Make me a channel of your peace', it seems fair to assume that you might just know the words. Think again! (Correct lines in bold)

Make me a channel of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me bring Your love,
Where there is injury, Your pardon Lord,
And where there's doubt, true faith in You

Oh Master, grant that I may never seek,
So much to be consoled as to console,
To be understood, as to understand,
To be loved, as to love with all my soul

Make me a channel of your peace,
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope,
Where there is darkness, let me bring light,
Where there’s despair in life, let me bring hope,
And where there's sadness, bring Your joy
And where there’s sadness, ever joy.

Oh Master, grant that I may never seek,
So much to be consoled as to console,
To be understood, as to understand,
To be loved, as to love with all my soul

Make me a channel of your peace,
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope,
Where there is darkness, let me bring Your light,
And where there's sadness, bring Your joy

Oh Master, grant that I may never seek,
So much to be consoled as to console,
To be understood, as to understand,
To be loved, as to love with all my soul

Make me a channel of your peace,
For when we give, we will ourselves receive
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
And in dying that we gain eternal life
And in dying that we gain eternal life


The last stanza is completely wrong, for it should be

Make me a channel of your peace.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving to all me that we receive,
And in dying that we ‘re born to eternal life.


A funeral I did last year appeared with Psalm 23 modified thus: The Lord's my shepherd I not want, He makest me to down lie . . When I asked the person who made the service sheets I received the answer. "I'm not religious and so I went to the internet and looked the words up!"

I'm not a medical man but apparently if I look it up on the internet I could probably do brain surgery on them! Quick nurse, sterilise that house-brick!

I'll leave you enjoy this one:
Lo! Jesus meets us, rising from the tomb;
Lovingly He greets us, scatt'ring fear and gloom;
Let the church with gladness, her hymns triumphant sing;
For the Lord he liveth, death has lost its sting.

Thine is the glory, risen conq'ring Sun . . .


Pax (to most of you but a severe chinese-burn to the naughty word-changers!)

2 comments:

Allie Perry said...

Never mind changing the words, what would you do to a hymnwriter who wrote a whole new hymn to a familiar one-hymn tune like "Wir Pflugen" or "Battle Hymn of the Republic"?

Come and get me then! I've done it - TWICE

Vic The Vicar said...

Wouldn't do anything - everyone does that, even the hymnwriters of old. William Booth took the popular (pub) songs of his day and set Christian words to them.

How many hymns are set to Repton (as an example)?

You're safe (as long as the words were not twee and trite that is ;) )

Pac