Friday 28 January 2011

Blogging and getting the hits!

What's going on with the blogging business I wonder? Today I've had three emails offering to get me more hits and and another telephone call from another reader (that means I have two now, things are looking up!) who wondered what I thought about a certain blog. I asked what the criterion was for my response and they said that being mentioned on it would certainly mean that they were at least referenced in a place that is authoritative and therefore likely to get them noticed.

This gave me a problem in that perhaps I've been a little foolish in thinking that you posted links to, and quoted, those blogs which challenged, informed or in some way touched you. Perhaps I was wrong and that the basis of posting links and having a blogroll (that is a list of blogs which are recommended) is all part of a quid pro quo sort of arrangement (I remember my Latin teacher telling us us that although it meant 'this for that' it was best remembered as "What's in it for me?").

I have to say that I consider it to be a rather mercenary exchange and one that might lead the poor purveyor of a blog to point to the blog of another as a merely commercial or advertising rich opportunity, which surely indicates a certain cynicism and a potential lack of integrity. Now I am sure that no one links to, or quotes, another source just to look good or attract attention or applause. Then again, remembering marking essays I was also sure that every quote, even though totally out of context was there for a purpose other than to make me think the author of the (sometimes vague and tedious) essay had actually read the set books. Of course, should the opportunity present itself in a tutorial to engage with the topic, it often transpired that perhaps I should have been more cynical.

Still, Augustine was indeed (as one student wrote) a Hippo and Julian was one of Norwich's finest and most spiritual sons! Not only that but Paul had his name changed when he became a Christian as he gave his Saul to his maker (where do students get this stuff, I'm sure I've never taught such things!!!).

Anyway, as is my wont, I digress.

Another good piece of advice is that unless one wants to 'monetize' (one has to ask oneself whether that is really a word one!) or need to have the most hits (in which case can I suggest that myriad numbers of minimally dressed people, a plethora of expletives and the like will do the trick. I look forward to seeing how you're going to make it Christian, but we all have our challenges :) ), then don't bother.

You will attract those whom find you valid or give them a sense of security in that THERE ARE people out there who are thicker than them. The problem only comes if you care and need to be affirmed. That said I will have to find out how many hits this blog does get, because people ask and my answer of 'ten' doesn't seem to hold much sway (they know I know that they know I'm exaggerating wildly!).

Seems that size really matters, just not sure whether it's those who have the numbers or those who don't that worry about it!

Pax.

ps.I really enjoyed one of the adverts today. Apparently if I copy some of the content from sites that attract a large number of hits, people will also find my blog and come to me to see what I've got to say about that topic, and of course when they find out the answer is 'nothing', they will keep on coming back too!

pps. Wonder if that works for sermons too?

4 comments:

UKViewer said...

Well, I am reading it, fresh back from an evening tryst with the Bishop with other potential ordinands.

And I came to read your blog to ground me again. So there! People do read you for common sense stuff as well as the theology and good news you share.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Ho did the meeting go? Hope it was a positive and enabling experience.

Thank you for your encouragement and support,

V

UKViewer said...

The meeting was brilliant. Relaxed but in really affirming company. It can sometimes feel quote lonely as a candidate, meeting the DDO monthly and working on projects in between. When you realise that there are many others struggling alondside, if not beside you it really helps.

Met some inspirational people and shared many journeys - each unique to them. From Lorry Driver to Lawyer, God is calling many people from different places. It's wonderful.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I do vocations work in our diocese and it is an extremely challenging and absolutely exciting role. The range of people that cross your path and the amazing breadth of God's calling is so motivating.

As you say, the journey towards discerning vocation can sometimes feel very much an isolating experience.

Prayers for you and those you gel with to c- this is part of the formation aspect that is so very necessary in any ministry role (and every Christian life).

Pax