Friday 31 December 2010

2011 - A Year in Prospect

I have been asked by quite a number of people about 2011and what I'm expecting (good and bad) to happen in it. Having given it some thought, here's my list:

Things I hope to see:
1. More people come to faith in Christ
The greatest joy in being a dog-collar is that of leading people to faith in, and through, Christ.

2. The second series of Rev.
The first series was an excellent, close to home and extremely provocative (and funny) offering and we look forward to more of it.

3. Me spending more quality time with the family.
I admit it, I am a workaholic and I aim to spend more time with the family and celebrate being a husband and father (and not have iphone or laptop with me when I'm having 'family time'!).

4. A coming together of all of the Anglican Leaders.
To sort out a way forward. I'd prefer to see 'Anglican' and 'Episcopalian' as brands for the orthodox and liberal groups respectively, have both in communion where that is possible and each contain the areas of disagreement where it is not. That way people could make their choice and there would be room for some coalescence too!

Things I sadly expect to see:
1. The debate about homosexuality become more hardened and more spiteful.
And this is from both sides. I can't see that the way people live their lives (hetero or homosexual) can be detached from living the Christian life and though dialogue appears to lead nowhere (or if it does, it is slow) - it is better than non-Christian words and actions.

2. The 'Big Society' will big more like the 'Big Con'.
I fear that those in power are going to be looking to the very same people (the Church) that they have marginalised to do the stuff for free!

3. More clergy affected by 'stress'.
It seems to me that the role of a dog-collar has changed greatly over the past twenty-five years such that the pressures that teams (which apparently don't work), multi-benefice parishes (which also apparently don't work) and 'parish share'bring are causing some to struggle and fail.
We need to be thinking about parochial structures, collegial ministry (by agreement rather than contract) and pointyheads who pastor the pastors.

4. More extreme views from Orthodox and Liberal alike.
Foolish people like Terry Jones (Burn a Koran Day) and Fred Phelps (Let's act disgracefully and call it Christian) and all those other people who issue foolish statements and untruths to support their view points will undoubtedly be a part of 2011. Alongside them will be the people who portray things as they are not to support their viewpoints and cover their lack of Biblical warrant (and sadly some of these will be ordained too!) And then there's always certain politicians who clamour to publicise and support stupidity too! Don't see this changing at all (sadly).

Things I don't expect to see:
1. Rowan being forced to resign because of pressures from either side.
Love him or hate him (and I do both at times) - He's basically a good bloke and I don't see anyone else doing an better job (and isn't he supposed to be put there by God?)

2. The numbers of those swimming the Tiber being anywhere as large as some have predicted.
I expect this to be one of the damp squibs of 2011 and think FiF and high church will still pretty much be with us.

3. GAFCON becoming the force it first appeared to be.
I think the timing of their press release regarding the Anglican Covenant and some of the other antics will result in them become more of a Gaffed Con than a coherent way forward (which is a sad, but apparently true, assessment).

4. The break-up of the Anglican Communion.
There will be problems and some, quite rightly, will find themselves moved into the second division whilst others, equally rightly, will find themselves invited to sit around the table. But I don't think we will see the bloodshed and fragmentation that some predict (or could it be, hope for?).

Things I hope not to see:
1. Feeble-minded and wicked people who make mischief.
These are the people who seek to put forward their views by engaging in mocking others, issuing awful statements about others and generally acting as non-believers. they might entertain those of a similar mindset but they do themselves and the Gospel no good at all!

2. Clergy caught up in acts which bring the Church into disrepute.
I hope we see less of the abuse of power from clergy, of all denominations and start to see the end of the paedophile priests row through some open and transparent dealings from all (even those who have these skeletons in their cupboards).

3. Tottenham finishing above the Arsenal.
Much as I like Harry - as a Gooner this has to be my hope.

So there it is - my hopes, fears and expectations.

No comments: