Wednesday 13 October 2010

Lay Volunteers - Blessing and Curse!

During one phase of my pursuits of some sort of theological understanding I encountered a very interesting group of people, the lay and non-stipendiary ministry types.

One of the first insults that I heard bandied about was that those who ministered for free did so because they loved the Church more than those who had to be paid to serve it! I have to be honest in that it came as a bit of a shock (to put it very mildly), especially as at that time I was looking towards selection conference as a non-stipendiary (now called 'self-supporting minister' or 'paying their own way' or something equally politically correct in that you mustn't use the word 'non' as it give people the vapours!!!).

Still, let's consider the lay volunteers first (always best to only offend one group at a time ;) ).

Having managed to persuade our bishop and the panel that was a selection conference (AKA ABM, ACCM and now BAP) that I was the 'right' sort of material (thick and resistant to knocks) I set about finding out what the business of doing Church was all about. First shock, having done theology and ordination training I was to find that there was a breed of people who wanted to be Vicars but somehow had missed out the theology and the ordination training and instead were content to be up the front but somehow eschew all the responsibility.

This was brought home by a sad and sorry little man who came to a potty training weekend and informed us that he was regarded as the Vicar by many of the members of his church. Not only that, but he always got his own way in the church by threatening to leave if he didn't! Up came a cry from pretty much all the assembled baby Vicars, "Bye then, we'd be sorry to see you go!" The man was appalled at our rudeness and was glad that his Vicar was a nicer person than we obviously were (as he told us as he flounced out).

Over the year's I have met a number of people who have been excellent lay ministers. They have given sacrificially of their time and gifts and sought to support and equip the body of Christ and the ministry of the Church. They have sought to exercise the calling that they have in a professional and selfless manner and they have been an example and encouragement to me.

But for those who see themselves as having all the benefits of being clergy without the encumbrance of responsibility or training, they are a liability and a bit of a pain. Happily, these have been the minority in my experience (but again this display the blessing and curse nature of volunteers I guess).

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Vic,

I am currently struggling in the discernment process in my diocese as a candidate for NSM or SSM, or whatever it will be called in the future.

My call to ministry is not about me, it is a call to serve, in whatever capacity the church discerns to be the true vocation. I would not like to think that there was any sense of difference between those in Ordained Ministry, all are Priests or Deacons, called to a particular ministry. Not all are suitable for Stipendiary ministry, and perhaps the other way around.

The attitude from an NSM you describe sounds to be a self-centred ego, rather than a genuine call to serve. Consumer ministry perhaps.

I know that my Vicar is the boss, but in a collaborative ministry team - we meet and discuss what is needed, but the leadership Yes or No is his - he has the responsibility and has to answer to the Bishop, not me. It works well for us and I hope, works well in most parishes.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I see the Vicar as primus inter pares rather than "the boss!"

I was recently told that one of the local Vicars lived over the road from them. Upon exploring further I found that the person in question was a lay reader. It's about calling and bring in the place God calls us rather than status or position.

Praying for your journey,

V