Friday 29 October 2010

Christian Brands? Some requests

I have received a few requests regarding 'Christian Brands'. Some of these have been addressed and others are in the pot, hopefully appearing shortly, others are obviously not Christian but I'll probably have a go at them anyway, always a good exercise.

Anyway, the list at the moment is:

Jehovah's Witness - done
Latter Day Saints (mormons) - done
Christadelphians - done
Unitarians - done
Christian Scientists - done
Adventists (Seventh-day and Sunday)
Church of England (steady on!)
Church of God
Charismatic and Pentecostal churches (thanks people)
The Millerites (who?)
Oneness Churches
Quakers
Restoration Churches
Roman Catholicism (really!)
Swedenborg
Unity Church
Worldwide Church of God
Zoroastrianism

I have to admit that I know some of these. Whether they are Christian or not is going to be a difficult assessment, but, I'm still going to have a look and try because I think it's a helpful exercise (although a blinking difficult and contentious one as well).

I would welcome suggestions for those groups that we might look at and even would also welcome comments and correction wherever they need to be made.

So - come on people, don't just email me - post here and lend a hand - the pile is enormous :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vic,

I'm not sure why you would list Millerites at all. Are there even any still around and wouldn't they now think of themselves as Adventists anyway? (I don't see Brownists on your list either--not that there are any of them around anymore either and probably has not been for 300 years). How about Methodists, Presbyterians, and Lutherans? They seem to be going strong still, at least here in the US. Other groups to consider including might be the Brethren and Nazarenes. Also, at least here in the US, I believe almost all Unitarian churches are now Unitarian Universalist, the two groups having joined together some time back.

Dave C.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Dave,

There are a few on the list that I was a bit wide eyed at!

I merely listed those I'd been sent at the time. Since that post I've had questions about the followers of Krishna and Christian Spiritualists.

You've started to answered the question, "Who are the Millerites?"

I'll add the Nazarenes and Brethren to the list (it's already daunting so two more won't cause any more chaos and at least I'll have a chance to think about them.

Thanks for the comments regarding Unitarians. I have only met Biblical Unitarians - an extremely fundamentalist group.

Pax,

V