Monday 2 August 2010

Rev - Please Sir I want some more!

I have to say that as the end of the series approaches I am one of those who hopes that we will see a second series of Rev.

Thanks to iPlayer I have managed to see all five and have enjoyed the issues and the reality that appears and find that laughing at the Revd Smallbone and his situations is very much a case of laughing at myself. I am obviously not alone as I now find myself addressed as 'vicarge'!

Devoid of the banal (yet always amusing) slapstick of Dibley and far away (temporally and societally) from the Derek Nimmo 'Gas and Gaiters' gem we have something that is well written and intelligent to boot and this is obviously a good formula as some two million people watch it. Apparently it's BBC Two's highest rated new comedy and has had even bigger audiences than Big Brother(whatever that is!). Even Rowan likes it!

We have the funny side of life that is ministry with its struggles, the ever-present need to maintain our integrity and the reality of prayerful and thoughtful ministry all lumped into one. As one who thinks that the daily office is an essential and yet struggle when it becomes merely observance rather than relationship, I love Smallbone's encounters with God. The 'Oh God, any chance of a bit of a hand down?" coupled with a the perpetual naivety few of us would wish to own up to.

Please Auntie (Beeb) I want some more!

No comments: