Saturday 31 July 2010

Marketing Christ - the US Model?

I have been troubled by Anne Rice's positional prayer and the assumptions made because of local 'noise':

"In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

Taking a closer look I have come to the conclusion that she is speaking about Christianity of the American kind, which makes sense as she's a septic! I have also realised that she returned to the Catholic church. This means that what she is saying relates to (generally) being American and Catholic and it is here that the problems lie, not in Christ!

But as she's portraying Christianity as 'anti' so much, I thought I'd try and see if my brain could address those areas she highlights for us:

'Anti-Gay' I don't think this is true and I find (thankfully) few as wicked or vehement as the Westboro Baptist church Asylum, who appear to be the reason that she's struggling with this. I have a few homosexual friends and acquaintances who consider themselves both Christian and well-treated by the Church and see this a pretty much the norm. It's about sin and choices (and that is the truth regardless of how some will seek to portray it) and hopefully, for most Christians, Galatians six applies here.

'Anti-Feminist' Generally an easy issue to deal with in the fact that before Christianity women were 'non persona' and thanks to it they, and other 'non persona' types, found the ability to be people and therefore free to be themselves as women. Then again, I read recently Bennie's words from the vatican about the sin of ordaining women and the threat of excommunication for supporting same and can understand the place she's at from her own affiliations and journey.

'Anti-Artificial birth control' An obvious biggy from the halls of the Vatican this one. I can only suggest that the lovely Ms. Rice looks outside and sees that for everyone else this is a non-issue. I, having worked and lived in Uganda could see how good teaching on sex, fidelity, monogamy and condoms could have seen many of those I saw die from AIDS spared.

'Anti Democrat' I can only assume that Democrats are the more liberal bunch and therefore the 'Moral Right' and wally beans like Westboro attack them for it. I can see a problem here because I think it's right to assume that when it comes to abortions, Eugenics, libertarian whatevers, it's the Democrats what support it. So I can see that some Christians would attack them - but again I assume it's the raving nutters that have made her feel like this is the case.

'Anti Secular Humanism' Bit of a no brainer this one. The label says 'Christian' and so things that deny God, His love, provision and desires for us and the way we live - putting humanity on the throne and self before all would attract a degree of antagonism and criticism. Just, once again, depends upon the way it's done. Dialogue, reason and the hallmarks of orthodoxy can be used in this area - but again Westboro and others would deny this as a Christian truth.

'Anti Science' Well apart for pseudo science and some of the weird creationist vs science stuff I'd have to say that since some of my heros were excommunicated, burned and whatever by the Vatican's head shed, not really something we tend to do here. Then again, I'd hazard a bet that either the Vatican or Westboro could come to the podium and collect a prize for this area!

'Anti life' This is the best being saved until last as the one thing that Christians can be accused of is being 'anti life'. John 10:10 speaks of jesus coming to give us life in abundance (was sure that was barn dance in one version I had!). God is all about life - life here, life after here and it celebrates life, supports living life to the full and is life in all its fullness!

I can only assume that some prune with a 'God hates . . . ." placard has convinced her that we spend more time fighting life than living and loving it - not so!

Although not in her prayer I see that another reason she's given up being a 'Christian' is because of the excommunication of a nun, Sister Margaret McBride, who as a hospital administrator approved an abortion for a woman who might otherwise have lost her life (and the life of the child too). She took what she saw was the right choice and paid the price for it (organisationally) - this was a Catholic issue and not a Christian one at the end of the day.

As one who has been chair of pro-life groups, worked as an information officer for pro-life groups and more beside I have to say that when these situation come up (and they do come up) the hallmark is love, gentleness and support, even when we don't perhaps agree with the actions taken. (Consider the woman caught in adultery and assume the same attitude for us - seems a good place to begin)

I'm more convinced that Anne Rice is still a Christian, she's just no longer a Catholic.

Of course she's still American and that's a different problem politically and morally with some of the weird people who claim to be Christian (hard core like Westboro and rampantly, almost Christ denyingly liberal too!).

Keep on looking to Christ Anne - He's the way, the truth and the life - no one comes to the Father except through Him! Don't let denominations, wallies and well meaning people (Christian and other) stop your journey of faith.

1 comment:

Revsimmy said...

I would agree with much of your analysis here, Vic. Westboro Baptist I believe is a small church that achieves much publicity by being obnoxious. However, there seems to be a significant strain of American "evangelicalism" that is not far off it - some of the more extreme examples can be sampled at http://www.stufffundieslike.com
Lest we Brits are tempted to feel smug, similar things can be found over here, though in a rather less brash form. I suspect the existence of the CofE and the Church of Scotland may make it more difficult for these groups to get so much publicity here.

I too find it incredibly sad that "Christianity", at least in its organised forms, has such a reputation for being "anti-" so much. But it is difficult to take the New testaent seriously AND see following Jesus as simply a solitary, private affair, however much one might wish to dissociate from one's more "extreme" brothers and sisters in Christ.