Sunday 6 June 2010

When you encounter prejudice you have to stand up and be counted!

The words of the Labour Party's Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transsexual Society's James Asser are words that each and every one of us should take to heart and make our very own. His words, uttered in response to a row which broke out in a London pub are a call and a gift to all who tread the path of the traditional Christian lifestyle.

It occurs to me that these days it is Christians of the fundamental and orthodox flavour that are the victims of prejudice these days and the time has indeed come when we need to stand up and be counted for our faith. To quote J K Rowlings character, Albus Dumbledore, "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy."

Every day I encounter Christians who seek to take the easy path. They seek that route which yield everything yet demands nothing and costs even less. This is that 'cheap grace' that Bonhoffer spoke so eloquently of, this is the path that seeks to cry, "peace, peace," when there is no peace.

That we stop walking the aggressive paths of conflict and condemnation is important. That we resist these traits in others, making our stand, is imperative. That I do not choose to engage in acts, attitudes or mindsets merely indicates that I differ from others. That I do not choose the same path as others does not make me wrong any more than their acts makes them right.

I have nothing in my hand but the Word of God and he path along which it leads me. My faith is orthodox and draws upon the tenets of Scripture, Tradition and Reason (with perhaps Experience thrown in for good measure). I cannot, and should not, be expected to have to move from the beliefs and values that shape and guide me, regardless of how much those others wish to shape their own lives.

That others choose to deviate from, modify or otherwise change God laws and their own values and standards to suit themselves is up to them, their fate is in their hands and wherever their path takes them, I should be free to follow my own - and mine has been around for a couple of thousand years and so is well-worn and obvious.

Time to stand and be counted people, Time to do what is right and to do it in the right way!

No comments: