Tuesday 1 June 2010

The buck stops (W)here?

Some interesting questions about Dog-collars (DC) popped into my comfortable reality yesterday. How accountable are we and who runs the church? What do the churchwardens do and do I really work for them?

I see the DC as someone who is primus inter pares, that is 'first among equals' and as the person who is, at the end of the day, ultimately responsible. If it happens on my watch then it's my responsibility, regardless. It is the same as being a Commanding Officer (CO) of a military unit in that they are responsie for the actions of those they command.

The wardens exist to 'maintain good order' and are the eyes and ears that quell disquiet and settle discord by acting as honest brokers for the BOPs (Bums on Pews)and between them and others without partiality, let or favour (and this means taking it to the DC too!).

Where there are teams, these should be supported by the DC, the greatest demonstration of this being by sound leadership and listening outside of that team (to the members). Often I find colleagues pushing the church into a position, programme or policy when they should be discussing the goals and getting 'buy in' by discussion and open leadership.

It's an easy place to find oneself pushing forward because the team (or inner circle of friends or sycophants) applaud a policy or direction, but this can destroy rather than build!

There's always the "Don't stand against the Lord's annointed defence - problem is, aren't we all annointed? Are we not all called as Laos (God's people)?

To be leaders we need to be accountable. We need to be approachable. We need to be adaptable.

We need to listen and respond the right way.

We need to lead (just like what Jesus taught us by His example).

Paul* writes "Be imitators of Christ, just as I am." This should be our model and our call - wish I was more like Him!

1 Cor 11: 1

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Vic,

I always understood that Church Wardens while part of the team, are in fact "The Bishops Officer" in the team.

In this capacity their duties are to as you say, maintain order, to ensure that the Church is run properly and to ensure that provision for worship is arranged during an interregnum.

But their role also includes being the Bishops Ears and Eyes in the Parish - which gives them perhaps the role of being 'The spy in our midst".

I was interested in your comparisons with Military Leadership and the type of leadership you describe is in fact one I had described in my preparation and discernment process for seeing the DDO!

I know that that is the type of leadership I used as an Army Officer and believe that it is directly transferable to a church context.

Should I say, "Great Minds think Alike"?

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I guess that's what they teach us at the factory! (I also use the manouvrist approach to church)

So much of military training is (as I have experienced it) basic Bible in practice - and for the factory itself, 'Serve to Lead' says it all!