Monday 14 June 2010

All that glisters . .

I was drawn in by the analysis of the World Cup trophy by Nottingham University's professor Martyn Poliakoff. Using his knowledge of this dense metal, gold, he estimates the weight of the trophy, were it solid gold, to be something like 70kg (154lb).

So, it seems that the World Cup, much like our own lives just might not be solid gold.

Well, I can't do anything about the trophy but I can do something about my own faith life and that's the challenge as we begin another week.

How will we engage with others - blessing them or being just another brick in their wall?

How will we deal with the idiots we will meet this week - with blessing or with a swift boot or a harsh tongue?

How will God deal with us today - think that's probably the best thing to focus on and emulate.

If only I could be more like Jesus and less like me!

Time to stop the words and do the stuff - Happy Monday people.

4 comments:

Judah said...

"If only I could be more like Jesus and less like me!"

Take heart... I can see a likeness, one I believe is getting closer every day. :)

UKViewer said...

I start this week on the Nine Criteria - having seen the DDO last week.

So many books suggested and a number of DVD's. So lots to do, and still with other Lay Ministry stuff and church accounts to keep up.

I wonder how I had time to actually work for a living

Psalm 42 with Morning Prayer this morning reminded me why I am putting myself through this.

Steven Carr said...

'If only I could be more like Jesus and less like me!'

You want to play God?

Why did the serpent tempt Adam and Eve to be more like God, rather than tempt them to be more like Jesus?

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

No, I want to play like Jesus!

To be really honest, I don't fancy omnipotent, omniscient or anything else really. Just would like to be emulating Christ in all that He personifies and leads us into being.

I guess the easy answer is that God was who they saw as being the pinnacle of everything that was (and the source of that as well) and so parity with, or even a bit of progression towards, God was a pretty desirable thing.

Obviously they needed Jesus to show them how to live in God's creation as He designed it to be lived and by failing to do this brought Jesus, the Christ, into the world to be its saviour. Chicken and egg or what? But an indication why not like Jesus on an even better scale!

The didn't need to be more like Jesus - only less like God to bring the incarnacy among us so that we might become more like God (in the incarnate Jesus).

Phew!