Wednesday 5 May 2010

Confusing Christians

I often find Christians to be confusing and this week is proving to perhaps take my limited brain and it's ability to exist within the mists of such confusion to even higher ground as people engage me over their voting choices.

I have the person who tells me how we need to vote for candidate 'A' because this is a vote for change and everything good. Problem is that voting for 'A' means that I am supporting someone who is against everything I believe in as a Christian. I point this out and am told, "This is not the issue, this is politics!"

Now, were I something that could be put in a sandwich (and in some cultures I guess I might be) I would be well guided to be voting for a party who endorsed vegetarian thinking and practice as it meant I might find myself facing less stress and conflict. Surely the same is true when it comes to my faith? But I am told that not being pro-life and not being supportive of Christian beliefs are not issues for election, this is about the 'big stuff'. Sorry geezer, the things don't come any bigger than my faith life for me.

I have the person who wants me to vote for candidate 'B' because they are a vote for change (heard that before anywhere?). I engage with 'B's' policies and find that they are not the sort of person I feel I can trust and in fact are almost reptillian and revolting (apologies to any Herpetoculturists reading this). But again I see Christians fawning at this snaky person's feet and encouraging me to join them!

I have the people who want me to vote for Candidate 'C' because, yes you've guessed it, this is a vote for change! I am told that they are supportive of the Christian values I have and that what matters to them are the 'important' issues. There are more candidates besides but 'D' offers policies that make Lord Sutch an even better bet (and sane too!) whilst others make you wonder what on earth they're on (and where do you buy them - are they the pink ones?).

And so the saga continues. Where are you when I need you Cilla? How I wish that I'd been an avid fan of 'Blind Date' when it was on the television for I'm sure that you would have had the right question to help me pick the candidate of choice.

I need to vote with my conscience - I need those who are willing to put aside conscience for the good of the nation to realise that without conscience there can be no good. The ends do not justify the means for if the means are not good then neither can those who use them be. We see good people sucked into so many things because of this thinking (including Bomber Command staff if you're reading Mr. Bratley!) and in the end there is always the moral thing to be considered. Why not consider it first and avoid the heartache and stress later?

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Great and timely post. I have just posted on this issue on Bishop Tim Ellis's blog.

Voting with my conscience is more important than the policies put out by all three mainstream parties, none of whom apart from lip service, actually support things I believe in.

Green looks good at the moment.