Monday 17 May 2010

Another interesting Monday in prospect

Starting, as usual, whilst Radio Four still thinks it's the World Service, this week begins by looking like another action-packed endeavour into what Church can be. I've answered the emails that ask me whether all the CofE types support homosexuality as a lifestyle, whether we're pro-life and a few other questions relating to issues which they see as key issues for Christians.

Not being Anglican (or even coming from what I'd call a mainstream Christian denomination) they don't have a clue as to the role of Rowan, simply assuming that he's just a non-Catholic version of the Pope. Neither do they understand what the Anglican Communion is but then again neither do many of those who consider themselves Anglican either!

I had to honestly say that I couldn't answer for anyone but myself and that my views would not be representative of some of those who called themselves Anglicans. The response to this has been that surely those who weren't 'sound' should be put out of the church, after all the Bible (1 Cor 5: 9 - 13) calls us to expel the immoral brethren (And sistren too!). They were of course correct (here's a recap for those who might have missed it!):

"When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.
It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you."


I guess that is pretty unequivocal - even for the more dense among us.

So with that before me - I'm off to a meeting (it'll give me something to ponder I guess).

No comments: