Thursday 18 March 2010

Drunk in church

No, not not me! Mind you I did get the amount of wine need for communion wrong in my early days of being a priest!

Last night during our Parish Lent course I became aware of a shape in the shadows in the sanctuary. Walking into to the main body of the church building I saw a man standing before the high altar with his arms aloft swaying gently in the breeze. I sat on the side for about five minutes before he stopped and returned to the choir. Spotting me he informed me that this was 'his' building and that having family ties which stretched back for hundreds of years, 'had more right to be in the building than me!'

I took him around the building (the course were doing the discussion bit) and pointed out the reredos, the Ford Maddox brown windows, the Norman dogtooth arches and some of the other treasures. As i did he softened and became even more engaged with the building. After we broke for tea he decided that he'd join one of the groups - the topic was about not being judgmental and not treating people differently because of their situation, dress or circumstance, so the addition was a fitting reminder and test in one.

At the end of the session, as we turned off the light, our new friend came to me at the door, shook my hand, gave me a kiss and left.

I think it is important to realise that we don't only have the cure of all souls where we find ourselves but also find ourselves in the role of 'curator of corporate memory' too. The buildings we occupy have memories and stories attached, even our modern offering, and we need to realise that they are not the property of the Christians who inhabit them but of the community in which they exist.

Today, when we see the 'scare in the community' member doing their stuff in town, or perhaps encounter the town drunk or some other unfortunate, will we be be thinking about 'showing mercy' and will our response be 'pure in heart' or will be increase our pace and perhaps cross the road?

Another part of selling the image I guess - the way we respond to people we encounter (inside and outside the church building).

The man last night was sure he'd be thrown out and instead found a welcome, tea (refused the choc chip cookies so obviously not yet saved), and some new friends. Sounds just like my first experience.

No comments: