Friday 19 March 2010

Communion - doing it with them

As I did more old folk's home communions I began to notice that even when well advanced with Alzheimer's, some people were able to take part in the service, not just by being present but by actually saying words from memory. The most obvious of these was of course the Lord's Prayer (traditional form of course) but I soon realised that some of the more common elements were also embedded deep into memory.

Words and memories could be unlocked by the words of that service and familiar hymns and songs. What at first appeared to be 'doing to them' slowly evolved into 'doing with them' even though there were times when one week's star was the next week's dullard. The reality was that communion presented and unexpected remembrance, recovered memories and experiences of church perhaps dating back into childhood some eighty years previous.So my first question was answered in that, despite the first impressions I did seem to be doing communion with them although I still had to combat the understanding question.

The following words fit in with my own experience:

"I found your post resonating with me. I work in in Lay Ministry in my Parish to take Holy Communion to 4 care homes within the Benefice.

This Ministry is one, which I regard very much as a privilege - and I find it very moving to reaffirm people, some of whom suffer from dementia that they remain members of our Parish and Community remains valued and respected. We regularly pray for them at Holy Communion and make efforts where possible to bring them to church if they wish.

Yes, there can be occasions, where things happen unexpectedly. Initially, I was surprised, but you learn to cope and to overcome this. I have never been discouraged by this, rather encouraged and I know that I am blessed to be permitted to do it.

Surprisingly, many moments of lucidity can occur, if we play music and sing a hymn together - even those who normally cannot communicate seem able to recognise the music and words and try to join in.

Like other aspects of Ministry, the care and compassion we have for those most vulnerable in our communities shapes and forms our Ministry - and perhaps brings other benefits as Care Staff and family members who may be visiting regularly join us in prayer and Holy Communion, when they might otherwise not attend a service in the church."


Pax

No comments: