Tuesday 23 March 2010

Being able to give an answer

One of my favourite bits of the Bible comes from 1 Peter 3:15, this is the bit that tells us that we should:

"Always be prepared to give and answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behaviour in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
  
We need to realise that here we (Christians) are being called to be apologists ('apologia' meaning to give an answer or defence of who we are and what we believe). An 'apology' is not a an excuse but, in the classical sense, is something which can be quite an aggressive statement of where one is. It is a real 'in your face' encounter with another person.

We are called to give an answer to 'everyone' who asks. Seems to me that, according to Paul, we just don't have an option, if they ask we have to give an answer, and this is tough for many of us. Talking to other people, especially about our faith, is one of the most fear and stress inducing bits of being a Christian and let's be fair, it's just not British now, is it? So where can we get some guidance?
  
My starting point is the kerygma (KerUgMa), that is the Gospel preached by the apostles and the first century Church. Taking its name for the word for 'Herald' (Gk 'kerux'), a person who proclaimed the news much like a town crier in the past UK setting, this is about proclaiming the 'Good' News ('Good News' being the Middle English 'göd spell' from whence we get Gospel). The word we translate into 'Gospel' in the Bible actually being 'evanggelion' - still I digress (sorry).

So where can we see one of these kerygma thingywotsits in use (I hear you shout)? Let's look at Acts, chapter two for an example (the first example I would have to say). The setting is Pentecost and the Holy Spirit has descended upon them, Peter has explained that this is a fulfilment of Joel 2 and continues thus:

"Men of Israel, listen to this:
Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. This man was handed over to you by God’s set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him. [sets the scene using what the hearers knew about Jesus]
  
David said about him:
“ ‘I saw the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will live in hope, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay. You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.' [Ps 16, which would have been known is used to address resurrection and fufilment of prophecy]

"Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne.  Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said, “ ‘The Lord said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.”' [Ps 110 is used to confirm what they knew in the reality of what the speaker believes and knows to be true]

“Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” [Identifies Jesus as the Christ - bish bash bosh - job done, answer given]
    
When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” [And when we do this, people do respond, not always there and then, but they do respond]

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off - for all whom the Lord our God will call.” With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.”  Those who accepted his message were baptised, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.


Here we have the kergyma of the first century believer. It uses that which the hearer understands (in this case using Jewish Scripture which the hearers would have known, they were in Jerusalem for pentecost, it was full of Jewish believers!!!) and the experience and understanding of the speaker. A deadly (or more accurately 'life enhancing' combination) :).

Each of us merely needs to develop our own version of this using our own words and at our own level of understanding. It doesn't need to be clever, merely yours. How's about:

God making man to be His friend. Sin and separation. Way back through the Cross of Christ. Jesus dying for us and should we accept this we can have a restored relationship with God. New life  - repent, Believe, Be Baptised, receive the Holy Spirit!

Just as early Christian believers memorised the kerygma, so too should we write and learn our own. I have and use it as a basic means of answering people

I hope this helps

3 comments:

UKViewer said...

Vic,

Thanks for some very usable advice and information.

You are right that it can be difficult to face aggressive questioning, which has happened to me on occasion - as first I found it difficult, as I was taken by surprise. Having given a holding answer, I left to actually find out what I should have said.

One thing that I found when I regained my faith 2 years ago, was that the very people, friends, who I anticipated would be derogatory towards me, turned out to be, after initial surprise at my transformation - to be some of the most supportive. And they demonstrated that both verbally and by attending services at Church, welcoming me into the church, Confirmation, renewal of wedding vows.

I found it easy to speak to them, without being ill at ease and with confidence as I learned more of the CofE, and more importantly, the love of God for us, given freely and unstintingly.

I am on, a continuous learning curve, which takes me in unexpected directions, following a call, which is demanding and persistent. How to articulate that, I am finding difficult.

But things move at God's pace, not mine, it took me a while to understand that - acceptance lifted a huge weight.

Next step - DDO after Easter?

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Thank you for the comments - will be praying for you as you seek to discern and answer God's call,

Vic

upnorfjoel said...

Rev Vic...
First, as the old song says, "They will know we are Christians by our Love". This seems to suggest that we should never worry too much about explanation or apologies. Let actions speak.

Still, for those times when we do explain (or proclaim may be the better word), which is our Christian duty after all, I suggest keeping it simple if you're going to use scripture. Here are a few that really pack a punch:

Romans 10:9
John 1:12
John 3:16
John 5:24
1 John 5:11-12

As you can see, I like to keep it simple. After these bits of scripture, if your audience is seen scratching their head(s), then maybe the next step is to try something in your own words. Most faithful people I know start to beam when they speak from the heart, and what testimony is better than that?

Keep up the good work Vic!