Friday 19 February 2010

Giving alms - Part the First

I had an excellent discussion regarding giving to people who beg on the streets during which I explained that my policy was always to give, but never give money. If they ask for food or drink I endeavour to meet that need, the same goes for transport, accomodation and just about anything else that gets asked for. I just don't give money.

I have taken my position for a number of reasons. One of these being that a bloke who became a christian in a church where I once was told me that he could make well over £1,500 a week begging on the Central Line of London's underground system and that by giving I was not only helping people feed their habits but was helping pushers buy stock too. He also told me that what stopped some people admitting they needed help and seeing them return home was the fact that 'mugs' like me kept them going.

Now I have to admit I struggled at this and having discussed it with my Senior pastor was told that I had to adopt a policy of giving to meet direct need but not to fund, indirectly, the very things that kept people bound. he used the words of Matthew ten, verse sixteen:

"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as cunning as snakes and as gentle as doves." The meaning was obvious in that I realised that is seeking to be a 'good Christian' there would be people out there who wanted to take me for a ride, that is - to con me. I needed to fulfil the call of being a Christian but not let myself, by good works, fuel or fund things that work against God and the good of the focus of my charity (or others as a result).

I realised that to avoid questioning each person as to the result of my giving or to find myself doubting or judging the person asking I would need to engage a blanket rule (a standardised policy and response). This I have to say is something I have done pretty consistently for the past twenty-three years (there have been exceptions, I do try to listen to God whenever I find myself here) and I believe there are a number of benefits to adopting a policy such as this.

Here's a thought for you to chew over regarding giving to those who ask for money on the streets. There's two parts of the same scenario, which do you identify with and which would you prefer is you were asking for charity?

1. Having disembarked at a major London terminus for a number of years I became aware that many of those who 'gave' merely tossed some coins in the general direction of the begee. They rarely looked at the focus of their giving and often the money never even changed from hand to hand but was merely tossed. Having 'done their duty' they moved on without thinking about it nor regarding the focus of their charity.

2. I found that engaging the begee and asking if I could get them food or drink, in compliance with their request, and by doing so (and spending a few minutes talking with them - engaging them as not only human but as an equal) I was giving something much more precious that money - I was conferring humanity upon them and giving them regard as a fellow human. This was, I was told, as welcome (perhaps more) than the food and drink.

I wonder what your thinking is about this? How do you give and why. A clarification from James perhaps:

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?
In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is uselessWas not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead."

It's not a question about giving, merely a clarification of how (and why) we give that we search for surely?

Pax

1 comment:

Judah said...

Having responded to your "part 2" before getting to read this, the "part 1", I just want to say... Vic, you're on to it! From my own experience, knowing the "begee" in this case, I believe you are right. And it can be a hard and painful realization sometimes.