Thursday 4 February 2010

Church Growth - Looking for the wrong things in the wrong places

It seems to me as I consider the question of church growth that many of those who are looking for growth (or decline) are basically looking in the wrong places. Why? Because although we are seeing growth on a Sunday in our services, this is not a good indicator of church life.

In the congregation in which I find myself a part of there are people who will be found in the building two, three and even four times a week. they are simply being church rather than perhaps merely playing at it or observing the Sabbath (and nothing else). Church is about more than coming on a Sunday and this is something that clergy appear to be forgetting when it comes to planning growth. That said, those who seek to portray the Church (universal) as dead and dying, although they love the Sunday attendance stats as they aid them in their cause, are well aware that the influence of Church is actually (as far as I can see it) growing.

So how do we gauge what's actually happening and develop a clearer (and truer) perspective of where we are on the ground then? I have a few thoughts about this, which need to be developed by others (as I'm too average to do it myself). So here's three things to consider as signs of growth:

'Our Church'. When the community starts to refer to the 'church' as 'our church', then you can be sure that you are on the right road to growth. That said, I meet some who refer to the monster edifice in the area as 'their church' by which they mean the monument and not the living stones just like they speak of 'our castle' (they don't go in there either). You need to interrogate and develop an understanding of what this means but if it is a reflection of the community and Christians being in relationship then this is the first step on the ladder securely reached. Too many churches exist for their own benefit but long to have more Bums on Pews (BoPs) to pay for their having the privilege of membership. Some have said they want the numbers and the money but wish they could have it without the inconvenience of having to share 'their' church. - not just slipped of the rung but lost the ladder if this is the case!!

'People stop you in the street' This is an interesting one because so many of the clergy I know appear to have forgotten that we are in a people-centred calling (I know it's Christocentric too, but people are the focus of God's love as we are called to show it). We need to make time for people and one of the outworkings of this is that you will never have time if you do it and yet will never have a truly fulfilling pastoral  reality if you don't. We Christians need to be out there, visible, engaged, welcoming and tolerant (and whatever your theological position, there's nothing that beats a dog-collar for a bit of people drawing engagement). I regard my dog-collar in the same light as a taxi driver regards his 'for hire' light. The collar says, "Hi lovely person, I'm available and I'm yours - stop me!" I find that I cannot make one end of our street to the other without people (and children, thanks to assemblies) wanting to dialogue and engage.

'You can stop people in the street' It's amazing but because I am known (and because I know so many people) I can usually stop people and engage them in conversation. Now this is partly who I am but it's also a product of what I do and what I carry with me (basiliea - the kingdom of God) and people actually are happy to be engaged with. I have been out with clergy and the people notice them coming and leg it. Not because they've been stopped before but largely because they're an unknown quantity (or perhaps not!) and it\s safer to run that be (dog) collared by the 'priest'.

Don't let statistics convince you that we are a diminishing people group. The ethnic Christian is alive and well and drawing others into relationship with them and Christ in the evenings, during the weekdays, on a Saturday and sometimes a Sunday too. But it's who we're engaged with on a regular basis rather than those who come on a Sunday morning, get the tick in the attendance box and consider their christian duty done for another week, that really counts. Sundays are for picking up estranged kids and other stuff (sadly) and as much as I'd like a full church on a Sunday, I'm happy to find it fuller during the week - after all, it's relationship and not numbers (but don't tell the people who worry about the Parish Share that, they'll lynch me ;-)

So where's the growth in your fellowship and how can you bless it and nurture it?

No comments: