Wednesday 13 January 2010

So what you planning?

When people aren't telling me about my 'busy' times or how I'm lucky to have a job where I only have to work on a Sunday they ask me questions. One of the most consistently asked must be that show-stopper of all questions, "So what are your plans for . . . . ?"

Having been an Industrial Engineer during one of my regenerations (think being a dog collar is regeneration number seven) I sat through so many lectures where helpful little sayings and mottos were tossed around like confetti at a wedding. One of the greatest, and most common, was that superficially sound and helpful advice in the form of, "He who fails to plan, plans to fail."

Now being honest I have to say that those who, in a church context, plan their church's future of plan to not only fail but also plan to create a sadness and even stifle enthusiasm and growth amongst their congregation. I have for year's enjoyed the truth that is to be found in the words of proverbs 13:12:
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life

Sad to have to tell that I find many leadership teams (by which I mean clergy and their church councils, workers and the like) who set themselves up for certain failure and thus condemn their fellowships to feelings of apathy and sadness because they have planned badly. One such example of this was to be found in a MAP (Mission Action Plan) where the church has set themselves a target of rising in numbers from around fifty to one hundred people as a result of their mission, which was, "To be Church where we find ourselves." I asked what strategies they had to bring this laudable goal about and received no real answer. They just believed that was what God was going to do and so were going to carry on as they had (numbers diminishing) and 'Trust God'.

I have to say that I reckon God has a pretty rotten job which he does excellently but looking at this congregation and their 'plan' He was destined (I felt) to look like He had an excellent job which he did badly - after all, if the growth didn't come it was going to be His fault!

I asked when the plan had been put together and discovered that it was almost in year three of the five year plan. I couldn't help myself (I never can - my mouth always gets involved before my brain does) and I heard myself asking what had happened when they'd last reviewed it. The look on my colleague's face was a picture, I don't think he could have look any more stunned and appalled if I'd asked to sleep with his wife! "We have made our plans and we're sticking to them," he said with a withering look. It was then that I decided that I might just leave him and his congregation to their plans as they weren't for moving. they had set their path and were going to see it through faithfully!

I enjoy the wonderful words of Proverbs 29:18:
Where there is no vision, the people perish

As the Mission Action Plan season picks up speed (we need to revisit them and present them at our Annual church meetings) I would like to remind everyone else that they need looking at and revising where necessary. As I do I would like to remind you of the reality of planning church in that many who plan fail to plan success but merely plan to fail. If your plans are not realistic, not constantly revisited and not developed by long periods of praying then you're planning to fail. If you seek a church of one hundred and the reality is that you're experiencing a diminishing congregation than either God is falling you or you're merely sitting with eyes closed and fingers crossed hoping for a visit from the growth fairy!

For some the reality is:
Where there is a vision the people perish because hope deferred does indeed make the heart grow weak (and the hopeful walk).

What are you going to make your reality?  Do you understand the needs of your community, know what they need and what you need to be 'Church' for them? Have you plans? If you do, when did you last revisit them?

Be blessed and may you see growth and bless others as you seek to serve Him.

No comments: