Friday 8 January 2010

Honesty - A One Way Street?

I was telephoned this morning to ask why a certain group I have been associated with has placed nothing on their website regarding the 'other' Robinson, by whom I mean of course, Iris. There are miles and miles of files, pretty files (sorry been listening to Moody Blues as I check the service and sermon for Sunday) relating to the other one and his escapades (the latest of which has been to bless the 'marriage' of a couple of women in Berlin, which I thought was in Germany not the US so what do I know anyway?) and yet not a single mention of this previously supported pinnacle of 'orthodoxy' against sexual naughtiness and her recently revealed transgressions.

I find this sad because this has become such a 'news' item and it is churlish and perhaps more than just a little short-sighted to ignore this issue when so many of the more liberal groups are making such capital of it and abusing her so. The news is full of this issue and it is actually, potentially, an example of fall, repentance and restoration (if the latest exposure relating to the money from developers being filtered back through Iris' pastor sister's church back to her are untrue) that might be useful in countering and contending with those who engage in persistent sexual sin (heterosexual and homosexual) and every other type of persistent and willful sin as well.

If we are to proclaim the orthodox position then we need to do it openly, honestly and admitting when one of our own has got it wrong. Sadly, not since August the fifteenth has this lady been mentioned and whilst I am sure that Islamification, gayification and all the other burning issues (although I do struggle to see who will end up burning at times) are right in terms of people needing to be made aware and of this needing to be reported - it's just a shame when we fall a little short and I for one will accept the criticism labelled at me that I am human and can get so bound up in 'causes' that I fail to see 'calling' at times and am greatful thatjust this time I haven't.

Pray for those caught in the crossfire of the Iris(h) Robinson affair, for those who voted for both of them and for Peter Robinson as he struggles with further disclosures and the pressure it places upon his marriage, his family, his career and his faith. Pray for those who wish to make a stand that they do so in a balanced and honest manner. Pray for those who are issuing vile and disgracefully 'bitchy' and wicked comments as they seek revenge - still, Jesus is coming soon and He can't be distracted from being and doing what is right (so watch out!).

Pax

No comments: