Tuesday 24 November 2009

It's so lucky we only work on a Sunday!

This has been an odd couple of weeks for me, not because it's been busy but because it's just been odd I guess!

It's a funny thing but people have suddenly started telling me that I must be coming up to my 'busy season' which is odd, because I never seem to have an 'unbusy season'! I continually come up against people who assume that services just magically appear and happen (hopefully seamlessly) with the music and other liturgy sorted, sermons written and church building laid out properly, communion wine is stock and candles all magically replenishing themselves. I come across people who fail to realise that my study looks like a bomb site because I'm too busy being 'out there' to be 'in there' tidying and doing stuff I fancy doing for myself.

On the other hand, I also meet people who tell me to take days off (which I do schedule - just don't seem to take them)    and who realise that the clergy role is legalised madness (for some at least) and a daily round of busy, busy, busy.

For those who don't have a clue about the clerical role, we have:

Funerals - which take a fair amount of time if they are to be done properly and are a real 'plus' and a great part of the vicar's role.
Assemblies - which need to be planned and done well if the kids are to avoid chattering or falling asleep.
Home visits - one of the best bits of the Vicar's role.
Hospital visiting - always expensive in terms of time and (thanks to parking charges) money and yet worth their weight in banana chips.
Meetings - Zzzzz. Sorry, where was I? Oh yes, meetings - lots of them if you're not careful and yet most are essential.
Weekday services - the fun bit of the week when we have our Wednesday midweek communion.
Alpha - learn the stuff, arrange the venue, half to three-quarters of a day gone for each evening!
Foundations - the fun theology bit. Excellent value but another three-quarters of a day (if you're lucky) challenge.
Planning ahead - after all, these things don't just happen.
Church Meetings - DCC, PCC, Mandate Team, Staff Team, Chapter, Synods and lots more to make the day less boring!

Getting tired yet?

Service preparation. Praying about the service - selecting hymns and songs - practising (if I'm playing guitar) - putting together powerpoints - working on liturgy - reading the passages so service works with them - reading the passages so sermon works with them.
Counselling
Meeting with friends - for all the congregation are my 'special' friends - door is always open (unless its closed) and there's always a welcome.

And that's the tip of the iceberg - so a word of advice:

When you see your dog-collar - don't tell him how lucky he is to have just to work on Sundays or that Christmas must be his busy time - He's already working on Easter ;)

Happy Advent - Jesus is Coming Soon (so look busy).

Pax,

V

3 comments:

Judah said...

You forgot to mention the ironing! :D

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I love ironing!

Was one of the bestest bits of working in the City - all those shirts.

Judah said...

When are you coming Down Here? I've got a whole pile waiting for you!