Saturday 12 September 2009

Oy, I said - Baptise my baby!

One of the interesting happenings just after arriving here was the appearance of a lady at the front door one morning. She'd come to sort out having her latest addition baptised and admitted to the great host of witnesses that we call 'Church'. Well, that's what I thought she wanted anyway!

Actually what she wanted was a baptism but she didn't want our building to be the venue as it wasn't a 'proper' church. No, she wanted me to do the service at another church a short distance away which was much prettier (it's a wonderful; little church nestling at the foot of a woods with wooden steeple and all that 'real church' stuff!). Intrigued I asked why she wanted me to do it at that church, was there perhaps a family link to the building and if so, I asked, "Why me?" the answer took me back a little, "We want the building but we don't like the Vicar there. He's not as nice as you!"

I responded something about her having to see the Vicar and ask him whether I might be able to help by doing the service there and she duly left. Invisibility had descended upon her, her offspring and the situation as the 'someone else's problem field' cloaked her. Until of course a couple of weeks later, she re-appeared and asked me if I would do the baptism at another pretty church a mile away in another direction as my colleague had issued a resounding, "No," to her request. I referred her to the dog collar in the newly chosen venue and left her to go and bless him with her request. Surely this would be the last time I saw the person as the incumbent up the hill was kindly and would do the baptismal requirements themselves.

Of course, this was not to be as the, "Nasty, vile and wicked incumbent - we hates them precious!" wanted the family to come to a few services before any baptism could take place. "If he thinks we're going to his church he's very mistaken," says the poor mother. After all, all she wants is a nice day so they can have a party, wear nice clothes and oh yeah, nearly forgot, the service needs to be just after lunch because if it's too late the guests will be, "Too pissed!" to get there!

"We're going to St. Wotsits," says the poor dear. We're having the baptism at such and such on so and so and so, with that - finally sorted she leaves, probably never to be seen again I assume.

But not the case. let joy be unconfined as this week I have been approached by a colleague who tells me that he's been visited by a lady who wants the baptism of her latest addition to take place at his church building. Apparently she wants it on a particular day to suit her guests (even though this means doing it as a special service) and at a time to suit the family (even though this means a special service) and although he's never seen them before (or will do after the event) she's also requested that I do the thing rather than him.

Suddenly I get the feeling that De Ja Vu rools!

V

No comments: